Watford hopeful of landing ex-Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews during his loan spell at Brighton & Hove Albion. Picture: Action Images

Keith Andrews during his loan spell at Brighton & Hove Albion. Picture: Action Images

First published in Watford FC News
Last updated
Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy Group Sports Editor

The Hornets are hopeful of signing experienced midfielder Keith Andrews on a season-long loan, the Watford Observer understands.

The Bolton Wanderers man, who can play in the holding role or further forward in midfield, is expected to conclude talks with the Golden Boys in the next couple of days.

Andrews spent last season on loan at Brighton & Hove Albion, where he made 37 appearances, and has been told he is not part of Bolton's plans again for this campaign.

The 33-year-old has played for 11 clubs and has 396 career appearances. He has featured in the Premier League for Blackburn Rovers (70 times), West Bromwich Albion (14) and Wolverhampton Wanderers (1), where he started his career.

Andrews has 35 caps for the Republic of Ireland but has not featured since November 2012.

We also understand the Hornets have ended their interest in ex-Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong.

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:33pm Wed 23 Jul 14

InterludeWFC says...

That's a bit more like it: an experienced head for the youngsters and imports to learn from. Not a bad player to have as back up either.
That's a bit more like it: an experienced head for the youngsters and imports to learn from. Not a bad player to have as back up either. InterludeWFC
  • Score: 46

12:33pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Surbiton says...

A sensible move on both fronts. An experienced backup for Tozer and unlikely to be a liability.
A sensible move on both fronts. An experienced backup for Tozer and unlikely to be a liability. Surbiton
  • Score: 30

12:40pm Wed 23 Jul 14

pete50 says...

Useful player. We actually bid quite a bit for him before he went to Blackburn.
Useful player. We actually bid quite a bit for him before he went to Blackburn. pete50
  • Score: 17

12:42pm Wed 23 Jul 14

andyandyandy says...

But the best news of all "We also understand the Hornets have ended thier interest in ex-Arsenal midfielder Emanuel Pingpong"
But the best news of all "We also understand the Hornets have ended thier interest in ex-Arsenal midfielder Emanuel Pingpong" andyandyandy
  • Score: 69

12:45pm Wed 23 Jul 14

garston tony says...

Solid player
Solid player garston tony
  • Score: 23

12:51pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Larrythe Loafer 'Orn says...

We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing?
Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH
We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing? Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH Larrythe Loafer 'Orn
  • Score: -10

12:54pm Wed 23 Jul 14

HornetSpurs says...

Bit slow but agree good signing.

Still concerned about Deeney leaving, if we lose him you could find a lot of lost souls.
Bit slow but agree good signing. Still concerned about Deeney leaving, if we lose him you could find a lot of lost souls. HornetSpurs
  • Score: -14

12:56pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Watford Willie says...

Larrythe Loafer 'Orn wrote:
We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing?
Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH
'Bond or Gomes' - Joke - right ?
[quote][p][bold]Larrythe Loafer 'Orn[/bold] wrote: We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing? Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH[/p][/quote]'Bond or Gomes' - Joke - right ? Watford Willie
  • Score: 32

12:57pm Wed 23 Jul 14

HornetSpurs says...

Bit slow however good signing can help with motivation and experience. Think he'll struggle with our counter attacking style but will make sure everyone is on it in the last 10 minutes of games.

Still concerned over Deeney if he goes then you'll find a lot of lost souls on the pitch.
Bit slow however good signing can help with motivation and experience. Think he'll struggle with our counter attacking style but will make sure everyone is on it in the last 10 minutes of games. Still concerned over Deeney if he goes then you'll find a lot of lost souls on the pitch. HornetSpurs
  • Score: -10

1:01pm Wed 23 Jul 14

SimmoWFC83 says...

Watford Willie wrote:
Larrythe Loafer 'Orn wrote:
We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing?
Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH
'Bond or Gomes' - Joke - right ?
It's got to be bond number one.................
............. Hahaha Gomes no question!
[quote][p][bold]Watford Willie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Larrythe Loafer 'Orn[/bold] wrote: We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing? Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH[/p][/quote]'Bond or Gomes' - Joke - right ?[/p][/quote]It's got to be bond number one................. ............. Hahaha Gomes no question! SimmoWFC83
  • Score: 2

1:06pm Wed 23 Jul 14

HornetSpurs says...

Watford Willie wrote:
Larrythe Loafer 'Orn wrote:
We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing?
Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH
'Bond or Gomes' - Joke - right ?
WOW Bond or Gomes for number one REALLY!!!!
A youth player vs Champions League and Premier League experience.
[quote][p][bold]Watford Willie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Larrythe Loafer 'Orn[/bold] wrote: We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing? Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH[/p][/quote]'Bond or Gomes' - Joke - right ?[/p][/quote]WOW Bond or Gomes for number one REALLY!!!! A youth player vs Champions League and Premier League experience. HornetSpurs
  • Score: 7

1:09pm Wed 23 Jul 14

1234566789 says...

I would be more than happy with this but what is in it for him? Surely he is expected to be behind Toszer in the pecking order so why leave one Championship club to sit on another's bench? Makes sense for a permanent contract with the opportunity to work his way into the team but on loan? Seems a bit odd
I would be more than happy with this but what is in it for him? Surely he is expected to be behind Toszer in the pecking order so why leave one Championship club to sit on another's bench? Makes sense for a permanent contract with the opportunity to work his way into the team but on loan? Seems a bit odd 1234566789
  • Score: 12

1:13pm Wed 23 Jul 14

mkhornet says...

A good signing, although he's played a fair bit in the premier he knows what this division is about. Saw quite a bit of him earlier in his career when he was at MK Dons where he stood out above the rest at that level. Always gave 110%, fully committed.
A good signing, although he's played a fair bit in the premier he knows what this division is about. Saw quite a bit of him earlier in his career when he was at MK Dons where he stood out above the rest at that level. Always gave 110%, fully committed. mkhornet
  • Score: 13

1:22pm Wed 23 Jul 14

rousman 2 says...

Larrythe Loafer 'Orn wrote:
We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing?
Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH
If Bond ends as number 1 we are in trouble (no chance).
[quote][p][bold]Larrythe Loafer 'Orn[/bold] wrote: We look to be shaping up really well, just be interesting to see who is the number one keeper, Bond or Gomes. Perhaps another signing? Cant wait for Udinese then Bolton. COYH[/p][/quote]If Bond ends as number 1 we are in trouble (no chance). rousman 2
  • Score: 3

1:51pm Wed 23 Jul 14

MainStandShambles says...

As i mentioned on an earlier thread, the Baggie fans in my wife's family were sorry to see him leave WBA, he was a consistent performer who got his fair share of goals (including some crackers).

He would be a good acquisition so my only concern is that, thinking of our midfield in particular, our squad is becoming too large to keep everybody happy. I hope we don't have too many disgruntled bench-warmers.
As i mentioned on an earlier thread, the Baggie fans in my wife's family were sorry to see him leave WBA, he was a consistent performer who got his fair share of goals (including some crackers). He would be a good acquisition so my only concern is that, thinking of our midfield in particular, our squad is becoming too large to keep everybody happy. I hope we don't have too many disgruntled bench-warmers. MainStandShambles
  • Score: 7

1:56pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Poppet Bear says...

That's a bit more like it, good squad player. They'll all get their chance, it's a long season.
That's a bit more like it, good squad player. They'll all get their chance, it's a long season. Poppet Bear
  • Score: 6

1:57pm Wed 23 Jul 14

neilhorn says...

1234566789 wrote:
I would be more than happy with this but what is in it for him? Surely he is expected to be behind Toszer in the pecking order so why leave one Championship club to sit on another's bench? Makes sense for a permanent contract with the opportunity to work his way into the team but on loan? Seems a bit odd
whats in it for him is that he is a professional footballer and we want to employ him. His last club have told him they do not want him, we have said we do, so that's whats in it for him
[quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: I would be more than happy with this but what is in it for him? Surely he is expected to be behind Toszer in the pecking order so why leave one Championship club to sit on another's bench? Makes sense for a permanent contract with the opportunity to work his way into the team but on loan? Seems a bit odd[/p][/quote]whats in it for him is that he is a professional footballer and we want to employ him. His last club have told him they do not want him, we have said we do, so that's whats in it for him neilhorn
  • Score: 10

1:59pm Wed 23 Jul 14

family terrace rule says...

A player I never liked to see on the opposition team-sheet. A good, solid pro with plenty of experience at this level and higher. Hope it goes through.
A player I never liked to see on the opposition team-sheet. A good, solid pro with plenty of experience at this level and higher. Hope it goes through. family terrace rule
  • Score: 8

2:13pm Wed 23 Jul 14

lockerbiehornet says...

I see QPR are now looking at Troy as well. Inevitably it's only a matter of time I fear, who could we get to replace 25 goals a season?
I see QPR are now looking at Troy as well. Inevitably it's only a matter of time I fear, who could we get to replace 25 goals a season? lockerbiehornet
  • Score: 5

2:23pm Wed 23 Jul 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

I am a big fan of Keith Andrews. He'd be an excellent addition to the squad, especially as a backup.
I am a big fan of Keith Andrews. He'd be an excellent addition to the squad, especially as a backup. The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 6

2:26pm Wed 23 Jul 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

Another positive to signing Andrews is that he can play defensive or attacking midfielder - therefore he could almost be like 2 signings in one for us, helping out with the problem of giving everyone game time in a big squad like ours.
Another positive to signing Andrews is that he can play defensive or attacking midfielder - therefore he could almost be like 2 signings in one for us, helping out with the problem of giving everyone game time in a big squad like ours. The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 1

2:26pm Wed 23 Jul 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

Another positive to signing Andrews is that he can play defensive or attacking midfielder - therefore he could almost be like 2 signings in one for us, helping out with the problem of giving everyone game time in a big squad like ours.
Another positive to signing Andrews is that he can play defensive or attacking midfielder - therefore he could almost be like 2 signings in one for us, helping out with the problem of giving everyone game time in a big squad like ours. The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: -1

2:26pm Wed 23 Jul 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

Another positive to signing Andrews is that he can play defensive or attacking midfielder - therefore he could almost be like 2 signings in one for us, helping out with the problem of giving everyone game time in a big squad like ours.
Another positive to signing Andrews is that he can play defensive or attacking midfielder - therefore he could almost be like 2 signings in one for us, helping out with the problem of giving everyone game time in a big squad like ours. The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: -3

4:00pm Wed 23 Jul 14

JohnnyBarnes says...

You can't argue with their logic.

We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it.

We now appear to have that in abundance!
You can't argue with their logic. We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it. We now appear to have that in abundance! JohnnyBarnes
  • Score: 4

4:22pm Wed 23 Jul 14

bristol hornet says...

JohnnyBarnes wrote:
You can't argue with their logic.

We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it.

We now appear to have that in abundance!
He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season.

It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule?

In the Pozzos we trust!
[quote][p][bold]JohnnyBarnes[/bold] wrote: You can't argue with their logic. We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it. We now appear to have that in abundance![/p][/quote]He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season. It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule? In the Pozzos we trust! bristol hornet
  • Score: 1

4:48pm Wed 23 Jul 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

bristol hornet wrote:
JohnnyBarnes wrote:
You can't argue with their logic.

We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it.

We now appear to have that in abundance!
He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season.

It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule?

In the Pozzos we trust!
He's Irish! Not even British... :P

I am guessing he counts as homegrown though. ;)
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JohnnyBarnes[/bold] wrote: You can't argue with their logic. We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it. We now appear to have that in abundance![/p][/quote]He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season. It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule? In the Pozzos we trust![/p][/quote]He's Irish! Not even British... :P I am guessing he counts as homegrown though. ;) The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 1

5:01pm Wed 23 Jul 14

londomollari says...

Yes, counts as homegrown.
A player in the twilight of his career (told he is not as quick as he used to be) but a very useful player for the squad, and a bag load of experience. If not in the team, a great player to bring on from the bench.
Good signing as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, counts as homegrown. A player in the twilight of his career (told he is not as quick as he used to be) but a very useful player for the squad, and a bag load of experience. If not in the team, a great player to bring on from the bench. Good signing as far as I'm concerned. londomollari
  • Score: 3

6:33pm Wed 23 Jul 14

cliff46 says...

Getting on a bit but an ideal squad player, would be a worthwhile signing.
Getting on a bit but an ideal squad player, would be a worthwhile signing. cliff46
  • Score: 3

8:22pm Wed 23 Jul 14

1234566789 says...

neilhorn wrote:
1234566789 wrote:
I would be more than happy with this but what is in it for him? Surely he is expected to be behind Toszer in the pecking order so why leave one Championship club to sit on another's bench? Makes sense for a permanent contract with the opportunity to work his way into the team but on loan? Seems a bit odd
whats in it for him is that he is a professional footballer and we want to employ him. His last club have told him they do not want him, we have said we do, so that's whats in it for him
Yes, of course. But usually you would only go out on loan expecting to play matches, not be a squad player
[quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: I would be more than happy with this but what is in it for him? Surely he is expected to be behind Toszer in the pecking order so why leave one Championship club to sit on another's bench? Makes sense for a permanent contract with the opportunity to work his way into the team but on loan? Seems a bit odd[/p][/quote]whats in it for him is that he is a professional footballer and we want to employ him. His last club have told him they do not want him, we have said we do, so that's whats in it for him[/p][/quote]Yes, of course. But usually you would only go out on loan expecting to play matches, not be a squad player 1234566789
  • Score: 3

9:13pm Wed 23 Jul 14

mickallen57 says...

The pieces keep falling into place, it just gets better and better. I cannot wait for the season to start. This is a seriously strong squad , pace , guts quality in depth . Great owners great Manager, if we are not in the top two at the end of the season I will shoot myself or worse still , start supporting Luton .

Gosh I need to wash my mouth out. That was a joke but so strange to see it actually in print. Perhaps I have been in the sun too long. COYH.
The pieces keep falling into place, it just gets better and better. I cannot wait for the season to start. This is a seriously strong squad , pace , guts quality in depth . Great owners great Manager, if we are not in the top two at the end of the season I will shoot myself or worse still , start supporting Luton . Gosh I need to wash my mouth out. That was a joke but so strange to see it actually in print. Perhaps I have been in the sun too long. COYH. mickallen57
  • Score: -1

9:49pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Mooneyman says...

Nope, not for me. Couldn't get in the Bolton team last season, past his best. He'd be about 5th choice midfield. Don't see the point. Unless he's happy just watching from a seat in the new stand.
Nope, not for me. Couldn't get in the Bolton team last season, past his best. He'd be about 5th choice midfield. Don't see the point. Unless he's happy just watching from a seat in the new stand. Mooneyman
  • Score: 3

10:00pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Chris the Vic says...

Does troy want to play or sit on a bench.

captain and first nàme on the team sheet of a team that will win and wants him.....or go and be a fifth choice."."


Not a matter of time I hope
Does troy want to play or sit on a bench. captain and first nàme on the team sheet of a team that will win and wants him.....or go and be a fifth choice."." Not a matter of time I hope Chris the Vic
  • Score: 2

10:46pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Glenn Roeder says...

Mooneyman wrote:
Nope, not for me. Couldn't get in the Bolton team last season, past his best. He'd be about 5th choice midfield. Don't see the point. Unless he's happy just watching from a seat in the new stand.
Respect Sir for not going with the crowd opinion!

Yes useful but are we not already top-heavy in the middle of the park?
[quote][p][bold]Mooneyman[/bold] wrote: Nope, not for me. Couldn't get in the Bolton team last season, past his best. He'd be about 5th choice midfield. Don't see the point. Unless he's happy just watching from a seat in the new stand.[/p][/quote]Respect Sir for not going with the crowd opinion! Yes useful but are we not already top-heavy in the middle of the park? Glenn Roeder
  • Score: 0

9:10am Thu 24 Jul 14

bristol hornet says...

The Skeptical Optimist wrote:
bristol hornet wrote:
JohnnyBarnes wrote:
You can't argue with their logic.

We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it.

We now appear to have that in abundance!
He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season.

It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule?

In the Pozzos we trust!
He's Irish! Not even British... :P

I am guessing he counts as homegrown though. ;)
English as they come old pal, but with the vague qualifications to play for Ireland!

Let's not be picky, he counts as home grown!!
[quote][p][bold]The Skeptical Optimist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JohnnyBarnes[/bold] wrote: You can't argue with their logic. We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it. We now appear to have that in abundance![/p][/quote]He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season. It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule? In the Pozzos we trust![/p][/quote]He's Irish! Not even British... :P I am guessing he counts as homegrown though. ;)[/p][/quote]English as they come old pal, but with the vague qualifications to play for Ireland! Let's not be picky, he counts as home grown!! bristol hornet
  • Score: 1

9:15am Thu 24 Jul 14

1234566789 says...

bristol hornet wrote:
The Skeptical Optimist wrote:
bristol hornet wrote:
JohnnyBarnes wrote:
You can't argue with their logic.

We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it.

We now appear to have that in abundance!
He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season.

It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule?

In the Pozzos we trust!
He's Irish! Not even British... :P

I am guessing he counts as homegrown though. ;)
English as they come old pal, but with the vague qualifications to play for Ireland!

Let's not be picky, he counts as home grown!!
Born in Dublin, played for an Irish team until 19 then moved to Wolves. You have to have been playing for an English or Welsh team for 3 years prior to your 21st birthday to count as homegrown. I don't see how he can.....
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Skeptical Optimist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JohnnyBarnes[/bold] wrote: You can't argue with their logic. We were crying out for players who either have experience of Championship football or are built for it. We now appear to have that in abundance![/p][/quote]He is also English (as well as being a good player), and we need more Brits to meet the new requirements this season. It only takes a few injuries, then we will be putting the likes of O'Nien, Doherty, Smith, Brown, Johnson and other youngsters on the bench every week to meet the new rule? In the Pozzos we trust![/p][/quote]He's Irish! Not even British... :P I am guessing he counts as homegrown though. ;)[/p][/quote]English as they come old pal, but with the vague qualifications to play for Ireland! Let's not be picky, he counts as home grown!![/p][/quote]Born in Dublin, played for an Irish team until 19 then moved to Wolves. You have to have been playing for an English or Welsh team for 3 years prior to your 21st birthday to count as homegrown. I don't see how he can..... 1234566789
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree