Can Watford get the best out of summer signing Matej Vydra in a 4-3-3?

Can Watford get the best out of Matej Vydra in a 4-3-3 formation? Picture: Holly Cant

Can Watford get the best out of Matej Vydra in a 4-3-3 formation? Picture: Holly Cant

First published in Watford FC News by

When Matej Vydra struggled to make an impact against Shrewsbury Town two weeks ago, Beppe Sannino conceded playing him on the left could have been the reason and acknowledged the dynamic striker would be better suited playing through the middle.

But after two below-par showings in the last week whilst being used as the lone striker, it appears the central role in a 4-3-3 won’t bring out the best in Vydra either.

Sannino has been trying to utilise the best attributes of attacking players like Lloyd Dyer and Ikechi Anya by trialling the 4-3-3 formation.

But the 3-5-2 system remains a proven option and if Troy Deeney does stay at the club then pairing him with Vydra may be the answer to helping the Czech Republic international recapture the form which earned him the 2013 Championship Player of the Year award.

Sannino was asked if he knew why Vydra was struggling to make an impact after the 1-0 defeat to Coventry City. He replied: “All friendly matches for me are very important because on the pitch you watch the whole team and not just the single players.

“We look ahead with optimism as we try to solve the problems you saw on the pitch.”

Asked if Vydra was fit, Sannino responded: “You can’t always measure that.

“The fans, the club and we (the management) have to see on the pitch a strong Watford and a team that play to win in the Championship. I think in the future we look ahead with optimism because I see the positives and the results belong to the past.”

Vydra is currently living with his good friend Daniel Pudil and the defender admitted his fellow countryman was struggling to play as the central striker in a 4-3-3.

Pudil said: “I am not sure if his best position is to be the top striker because whilst he is not small, he doesn’t like so many duels. So maybe his best position is on the wings [in a 4-3-3] where he can get the ball and be one-on-one with the defender or get in behind. Maybe that is why [Vydra has yet to show his potential].

“We are still looking for the best formation and the best XI so probably against Udinese we will have the final XI heading into the first game in the league.”

He continued: “We (Vydra and Pudil) have played a couple of games together on the left so maybe him on the left or right is better because he can go one-on-one because he is quite quick. But it is not my choice, you will have to ask the manager because it is his responsibility, not mine.”

Pudil insisted Vydra is enjoying being back at Watford, the club where he burst on to the scene and scored 22 goals in his debut campaign in England, to attract the interest of several Premier League clubs.

“Yes he is happy and he is looking forward to the first game,” Pudil said.

“He wants to help us get promoted to the Premier League. It is not only his target, it is all of ours and we will try to do our best. It starts on Saturday [against Udinese] because it will be the first game in front of our supporters.

“We will do everything to win the game and be ready for August 9.”

Pre-season has seen Sannino rotate his players significantly and try out the new 4-3-3 formation, whilst also using 3-5-2 earlier in the summer.

Pudil said: “Pre-season is like that. The manager has his vision for the game and for our formation so right now we are trying 4-3-3 or 3-5-2. It’s up to him to find the right solution and formation for the first game of the season.”

He added: “We have spoken about this [4-3-3] as players and this formation is not too bad, we like the formation. It is good but maybe if you played 3-5-2 then we would have more players to attack. Maybe the formation is a little bit better but this is the decision of the manager and he has to put the right players on the pitch. He still has another week to find the right solution and everybody has to be ready for August 9.”

Sannino was in charge of Watford for the second half of last season and stamped his mark on the team immediately by providing more defensive stability.

The side had an awful end to the campaign, with three demoralising defeats on the bounce, but prior to that had shown progression.

Pudil believes the Golden Boys’ defensive shape and pressing have been the major differences between now and the final game of the 2013/14 season.

He explained: “We are working harder to press the ball higher up the pitch and move all of the team closer to the ball and work together.

“We look better and more solid at the back but we have to improve on keeping the ball, playing faster and creating more opportunities for the strikers. Today [against Coventry City], particularly first half, we didn’t have many chances to score. We need to improve this.”

Pudil has clearly been first choice when Watford have used the 4-3-3 formation during pre-season but he is not taking a starting place on August 9 for granted.

He said: “I have played all the games, that is true, but to be honest we don’t have left defenders so I am just the one who can play this position most because I am left footed. It looks like it may be me who starts but we could change the formation to 3-5-2 and someone else could play there.

“So I am just doing my best and hopefully I can play as much as possible.”

“The squad looks really strong right now,” he continued. “There will be more expectation from the fans and the owner, everyone, but it is always like that at Watford because it is a club that has to be in the Premier League.

“We will be under pressure from the first game but we have to go on to the pitch and win. Then we will be ok.”

Comments (50)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:17am Fri 1 Aug 14

itsafamilyclub!!! says...

I think 433 will work but would rather have two main strikers up top with Fessi just behind rather than the two wide strikers that he seems to be playing at the minute.

If Fessi was injured then Anya or Murray could play in the withdrawn striker role.
I think 433 will work but would rather have two main strikers up top with Fessi just behind rather than the two wide strikers that he seems to be playing at the minute. If Fessi was injured then Anya or Murray could play in the withdrawn striker role. itsafamilyclub!!!
  • Score: 6

10:27am Fri 1 Aug 14

Abbotshorn says...

More i hear of Beppe the more i am worrying!! Hope i am wrong
More i hear of Beppe the more i am worrying!! Hope i am wrong Abbotshorn
  • Score: 14

10:34am Fri 1 Aug 14

StotfoldHornet says...

Lets wait and see what the formation/team is for the first couple of games... transfer window being open until end of Aug doesnt help either!
Lets wait and see what the formation/team is for the first couple of games... transfer window being open until end of Aug doesnt help either! StotfoldHornet
  • Score: 3

10:45am Fri 1 Aug 14

Banjo says...

someone gave me a £20 note for absolutely nothing which was quite nice but I'm really p1ssed off that it wasn't £21
someone gave me a £20 note for absolutely nothing which was quite nice but I'm really p1ssed off that it wasn't £21 Banjo
  • Score: 5

10:45am Fri 1 Aug 14

holtonian says...

Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol holtonian
  • Score: 1

10:54am Fri 1 Aug 14

itsafamilyclub!!! says...

holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
1 centre half..

Are you mental?
[quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]1 centre half.. Are you mental? itsafamilyclub!!!
  • Score: 8

10:57am Fri 1 Aug 14

WessexLad says...

We need to exploit his pace, and particularly his ability to break quickly, carrying the ball out of defence into attack. Think Deeney's 2nd goal at Birmingham.

I'd go for 4-4-2, with Deeney and Fessi/Renegie up front and a midfield of Dyer, Vydra, Abdi/Battochio and Anya.
We need to exploit his pace, and particularly his ability to break quickly, carrying the ball out of defence into attack. Think Deeney's 2nd goal at Birmingham. I'd go for 4-4-2, with Deeney and Fessi/Renegie up front and a midfield of Dyer, Vydra, Abdi/Battochio and Anya. WessexLad
  • Score: -33

11:03am Fri 1 Aug 14

No Wheels says...

I can't help thinking our squad is better suited for 3-5-2 with pace on the wings as well as through the middle
I can't help thinking our squad is better suited for 3-5-2 with pace on the wings as well as through the middle No Wheels
  • Score: 39

11:06am Fri 1 Aug 14

petsoundsnick says...

WessexLad wrote:
We need to exploit his pace, and particularly his ability to break quickly, carrying the ball out of defence into attack. Think Deeney's 2nd goal at Birmingham.

I'd go for 4-4-2, with Deeney and Fessi/Renegie up front and a midfield of Dyer, Vydra, Abdi/Battochio and Anya.
This just shows that you probably should not be allowed to watch football as you clearly have no idea about tactics or strategy.

Picking Vydra in midfield ahead of Tozser just about sums your statement up.

Good luck on Football Manager.
[quote][p][bold]WessexLad[/bold] wrote: We need to exploit his pace, and particularly his ability to break quickly, carrying the ball out of defence into attack. Think Deeney's 2nd goal at Birmingham. I'd go for 4-4-2, with Deeney and Fessi/Renegie up front and a midfield of Dyer, Vydra, Abdi/Battochio and Anya.[/p][/quote]This just shows that you probably should not be allowed to watch football as you clearly have no idea about tactics or strategy. Picking Vydra in midfield ahead of Tozser just about sums your statement up. Good luck on Football Manager. petsoundsnick
  • Score: 22

11:06am Fri 1 Aug 14

rousman 2 says...

We saw the Season before last where Vydra is best playing off Troy through the middle.
We saw the Season before last where Vydra is best playing off Troy through the middle. rousman 2
  • Score: 23

11:12am Fri 1 Aug 14

Mike891740 says...

Have people lost the plot? Suggesting that we play Vydra anywhere other than upfront with a number 9 (hopefully Deeney) is ludicrous. We've all seen for ourselves that he is arguably the most natural centre forward that we've ever had and is capable of scoring all types of goals and lots of them. In my opinion, the team should be built around getting the best out of him because if we do I think we will go up.
Have people lost the plot? Suggesting that we play Vydra anywhere other than upfront with a number 9 (hopefully Deeney) is ludicrous. We've all seen for ourselves that he is arguably the most natural centre forward that we've ever had and is capable of scoring all types of goals and lots of them. In my opinion, the team should be built around getting the best out of him because if we do I think we will go up. Mike891740
  • Score: 33

11:16am Fri 1 Aug 14

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

No Wheels wrote:
I can't help thinking our squad is better suited for 3-5-2 with pace on the wings as well as through the middle
Yes, this. MV isn't a target man, or a winger. he's best playing off a target man up front, TD or MR, with pace and width coming from the wide midfield positions.
[quote][p][bold]No Wheels[/bold] wrote: I can't help thinking our squad is better suited for 3-5-2 with pace on the wings as well as through the middle[/p][/quote]Yes, this. MV isn't a target man, or a winger. he's best playing off a target man up front, TD or MR, with pace and width coming from the wide midfield positions. Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 16

11:22am Fri 1 Aug 14

Harry's Bar says...

petsoundsnick wrote:
WessexLad wrote:
We need to exploit his pace, and particularly his ability to break quickly, carrying the ball out of defence into attack. Think Deeney's 2nd goal at Birmingham.

I'd go for 4-4-2, with Deeney and Fessi/Renegie up front and a midfield of Dyer, Vydra, Abdi/Battochio and Anya.
This just shows that you probably should not be allowed to watch football as you clearly have no idea about tactics or strategy.

Picking Vydra in midfield ahead of Tozser just about sums your statement up.

Good luck on Football Manager.
You're letting him down a bit gently aren't you. Say what you think man!
[quote][p][bold]petsoundsnick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WessexLad[/bold] wrote: We need to exploit his pace, and particularly his ability to break quickly, carrying the ball out of defence into attack. Think Deeney's 2nd goal at Birmingham. I'd go for 4-4-2, with Deeney and Fessi/Renegie up front and a midfield of Dyer, Vydra, Abdi/Battochio and Anya.[/p][/quote]This just shows that you probably should not be allowed to watch football as you clearly have no idea about tactics or strategy. Picking Vydra in midfield ahead of Tozser just about sums your statement up. Good luck on Football Manager.[/p][/quote]You're letting him down a bit gently aren't you. Say what you think man! Harry's Bar
  • Score: 3

11:29am Fri 1 Aug 14

robo bovingdon says...

systems dont win games players understanding one another and working as a team will get results 3-5-2 4-2-4 what ever system unless the drive and willingness is there we wont win games HORSES FOR COURSES
Come on you HORNS lets get it right tomorrow and give everyone a lift as we go into a new season.
systems dont win games players understanding one another and working as a team will get results 3-5-2 4-2-4 what ever system unless the drive and willingness is there we wont win games HORSES FOR COURSES Come on you HORNS lets get it right tomorrow and give everyone a lift as we go into a new season. robo bovingdon
  • Score: 6

11:35am Fri 1 Aug 14

endean2 says...

if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................
god help us.
if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................ god help us. endean2
  • Score: 16

11:40am Fri 1 Aug 14

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

robo bovingdon wrote:
systems dont win games players understanding one another and working as a team will get results 3-5-2 4-2-4 what ever system unless the drive and willingness is there we wont win games HORSES FOR COURSES
Come on you HORNS lets get it right tomorrow and give everyone a lift as we go into a new season.
no but the wrong systems and tactics can lose you games
[quote][p][bold]robo bovingdon[/bold] wrote: systems dont win games players understanding one another and working as a team will get results 3-5-2 4-2-4 what ever system unless the drive and willingness is there we wont win games HORSES FOR COURSES Come on you HORNS lets get it right tomorrow and give everyone a lift as we go into a new season.[/p][/quote]no but the wrong systems and tactics can lose you games Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 10

11:48am Fri 1 Aug 14

Traceyhornet says...

Can Watford get the best out of Vydra with a 4-3-3 formation? In a word......no!
Can Watford get the best out of Vydra with a 4-3-3 formation? In a word......no! Traceyhornet
  • Score: 21

11:52am Fri 1 Aug 14

Poppet Bear says...

4-4-2 works for me but keeping 11 on the pitch at all times may help as well.
4-4-2 works for me but keeping 11 on the pitch at all times may help as well. Poppet Bear
  • Score: 7

11:53am Fri 1 Aug 14

holtonian says...

itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
1 centre half..

Are you mental?
Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.
[quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]1 centre half.. Are you mental?[/p][/quote]Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above. holtonian
  • Score: -8

12:06pm Fri 1 Aug 14

1watford says...

Zola back plz with this squad!
Zola back plz with this squad! 1watford
  • Score: 15

12:10pm Fri 1 Aug 14

kevhenderson says...

holtonian wrote:
itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
1 centre half..

Are you mental?
Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.
Holtonian was referring to old the style team set up right back, right half, centre half, left half and left back. Right wing, inside right, centre forward, inside left and left wing. I remember playing this formation at school 45 years ago.

All supporters know what worked two seasons ago and I therefore suggest that's what we should play now. On paper we have a decent defence, cracking midfield and a great forward pairing. Just go for it Beppe.
[quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]1 centre half.. Are you mental?[/p][/quote]Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.[/p][/quote]Holtonian was referring to old the style team set up right back, right half, centre half, left half and left back. Right wing, inside right, centre forward, inside left and left wing. I remember playing this formation at school 45 years ago. All supporters know what worked two seasons ago and I therefore suggest that's what we should play now. On paper we have a decent defence, cracking midfield and a great forward pairing. Just go for it Beppe. kevhenderson
  • Score: 6

12:12pm Fri 1 Aug 14

itsafamilyclub!!! says...

holtonian wrote:
itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
1 centre half..

Are you mental?
Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.
Name me a team that has ever played just one centre half?

Have you been on the wacky backy holtonian?
[quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]1 centre half.. Are you mental?[/p][/quote]Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.[/p][/quote]Name me a team that has ever played just one centre half? Have you been on the wacky backy holtonian? itsafamilyclub!!!
  • Score: -3

12:20pm Fri 1 Aug 14

itsafamilyclub!!! says...

kevhenderson wrote:
holtonian wrote:
itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
1 centre half..

Are you mental?
Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.
Holtonian was referring to old the style team set up right back, right half, centre half, left half and left back. Right wing, inside right, centre forward, inside left and left wing. I remember playing this formation at school 45 years ago.

All supporters know what worked two seasons ago and I therefore suggest that's what we should play now. On paper we have a decent defence, cracking midfield and a great forward pairing. Just go for it Beppe.
oooooh I see, fair enough...

Then I suppose the question is can Toszer fill the half back position?
[quote][p][bold]kevhenderson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]1 centre half.. Are you mental?[/p][/quote]Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.[/p][/quote]Holtonian was referring to old the style team set up right back, right half, centre half, left half and left back. Right wing, inside right, centre forward, inside left and left wing. I remember playing this formation at school 45 years ago. All supporters know what worked two seasons ago and I therefore suggest that's what we should play now. On paper we have a decent defence, cracking midfield and a great forward pairing. Just go for it Beppe.[/p][/quote]oooooh I see, fair enough... Then I suppose the question is can Toszer fill the half back position? itsafamilyclub!!!
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Fri 1 Aug 14

holtonian says...

itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
holtonian wrote:
itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
1 centre half..

Are you mental?
Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.
Name me a team that has ever played just one centre half?

Have you been on the wacky backy holtonian?
Clearly you dont understand the basic things about Football.
[quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]1 centre half.. Are you mental?[/p][/quote]Not mental at all how many centre halves do you need 5 lol.most wing halfs can head a ball heavens above.[/p][/quote]Name me a team that has ever played just one centre half? Have you been on the wacky backy holtonian?[/p][/quote]Clearly you dont understand the basic things about Football. holtonian
  • Score: 0

12:48pm Fri 1 Aug 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

I think we can all agree Vydra is a great striker. Although everyone forgets that he didn't score between the 23rd February and the play off semi final. That's nothing short of a serious goal drought. Furthermore, he clearly is more of a natural striker than a natural winger, and both Dyer and Anya seem preferable to him out wide, however skilful Vydra may be. If we are to play 4-3-3 - and I personally don't necessarily think that's preferable to 3-5-2 - then in my opinion, however much of a shame it is, you either sacrifice Deeney or Vydra.

For me Vydra, therefore, has to be a super-sub. Come on with half an hour left to destroy tired legs. In fact, from memory, coming on as a substitute (happened more than you might think - Zola several times gave Forestieri starts until November time) is when Vydra looked most dangerous in 2012/13. Him fresh against tired defenders is deadly.

So whether that means taking Deeney off at 60 minutes or changing formation to a 3-5-2, for me that is the best way to use Vydra this season - however much it may seem like sacrifice playing time for one of our best players.

At the end of the day, however good a player is, if he isn't first choice in any position, then he has to sit on the bench. To be honest, I kind of think the same about Dyer if we play 3-5-2. Clearly a really good player, and it's a shame to exclude him - but is he really capable of defending like Pudil can? Maybe he'd work wide left in a 3-5-2 as (again) a supersub, put on with half an hour left if we're in a position where we don't win unless we gamble.

I'm guessing that my attitude towards excluding good players will get thumbs down - but hey, we have a good squad, so we have to exclude good players! And I don't see there's any other way around it if we have too many good players with only one space per position in a starting 11. If you play 4-3-3, Vydra isn't first choice up front, and shouldn't be first choice on either wing if Dyer and Anya can do a better job.
I think we can all agree Vydra is a great striker. Although everyone forgets that he didn't score between the 23rd February and the play off semi final. That's nothing short of a serious goal drought. Furthermore, he clearly is more of a natural striker than a natural winger, and both Dyer and Anya seem preferable to him out wide, however skilful Vydra may be. If we are to play 4-3-3 - and I personally don't necessarily think that's preferable to 3-5-2 - then in my opinion, however much of a shame it is, you either sacrifice Deeney or Vydra. For me Vydra, therefore, has to be a super-sub. Come on with half an hour left to destroy tired legs. In fact, from memory, coming on as a substitute (happened more than you might think - Zola several times gave Forestieri starts until November time) is when Vydra looked most dangerous in 2012/13. Him fresh against tired defenders is deadly. So whether that means taking Deeney off at 60 minutes or changing formation to a 3-5-2, for me that is the best way to use Vydra this season - however much it may seem like sacrifice playing time for one of our best players. At the end of the day, however good a player is, if he isn't first choice in any position, then he has to sit on the bench. To be honest, I kind of think the same about Dyer if we play 3-5-2. Clearly a really good player, and it's a shame to exclude him - but is he really capable of defending like Pudil can? Maybe he'd work wide left in a 3-5-2 as (again) a supersub, put on with half an hour left if we're in a position where we don't win unless we gamble. I'm guessing that my attitude towards excluding good players will get thumbs down - but hey, we have a good squad, so we have to exclude good players! And I don't see there's any other way around it if we have too many good players with only one space per position in a starting 11. If you play 4-3-3, Vydra isn't first choice up front, and shouldn't be first choice on either wing if Dyer and Anya can do a better job. The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 8

12:55pm Fri 1 Aug 14

rousman 2 says...

Abbotshorn wrote:
More i hear of Beppe the more i am worrying!! Hope i am wrong
Sorry to say mate I think you are right.
[quote][p][bold]Abbotshorn[/bold] wrote: More i hear of Beppe the more i am worrying!! Hope i am wrong[/p][/quote]Sorry to say mate I think you are right. rousman 2
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

The Skeptical Optimist wrote:
I think we can all agree Vydra is a great striker. Although everyone forgets that he didn't score between the 23rd February and the play off semi final. That's nothing short of a serious goal drought. Furthermore, he clearly is more of a natural striker than a natural winger, and both Dyer and Anya seem preferable to him out wide, however skilful Vydra may be. If we are to play 4-3-3 - and I personally don't necessarily think that's preferable to 3-5-2 - then in my opinion, however much of a shame it is, you either sacrifice Deeney or Vydra.

For me Vydra, therefore, has to be a super-sub. Come on with half an hour left to destroy tired legs. In fact, from memory, coming on as a substitute (happened more than you might think - Zola several times gave Forestieri starts until November time) is when Vydra looked most dangerous in 2012/13. Him fresh against tired defenders is deadly.

So whether that means taking Deeney off at 60 minutes or changing formation to a 3-5-2, for me that is the best way to use Vydra this season - however much it may seem like sacrifice playing time for one of our best players.

At the end of the day, however good a player is, if he isn't first choice in any position, then he has to sit on the bench. To be honest, I kind of think the same about Dyer if we play 3-5-2. Clearly a really good player, and it's a shame to exclude him - but is he really capable of defending like Pudil can? Maybe he'd work wide left in a 3-5-2 as (again) a supersub, put on with half an hour left if we're in a position where we don't win unless we gamble.

I'm guessing that my attitude towards excluding good players will get thumbs down - but hey, we have a good squad, so we have to exclude good players! And I don't see there's any other way around it if we have too many good players with only one space per position in a starting 11. If you play 4-3-3, Vydra isn't first choice up front, and shouldn't be first choice on either wing if Dyer and Anya can do a better job.
Hear what you say, though it does sound counter-intuitive that MV has less chance of playing if we play 3 up front rather than 2 ! Still think 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 are the answer, with MV very much in the team / sharing pitch time with FF.
[quote][p][bold]The Skeptical Optimist[/bold] wrote: I think we can all agree Vydra is a great striker. Although everyone forgets that he didn't score between the 23rd February and the play off semi final. That's nothing short of a serious goal drought. Furthermore, he clearly is more of a natural striker than a natural winger, and both Dyer and Anya seem preferable to him out wide, however skilful Vydra may be. If we are to play 4-3-3 - and I personally don't necessarily think that's preferable to 3-5-2 - then in my opinion, however much of a shame it is, you either sacrifice Deeney or Vydra. For me Vydra, therefore, has to be a super-sub. Come on with half an hour left to destroy tired legs. In fact, from memory, coming on as a substitute (happened more than you might think - Zola several times gave Forestieri starts until November time) is when Vydra looked most dangerous in 2012/13. Him fresh against tired defenders is deadly. So whether that means taking Deeney off at 60 minutes or changing formation to a 3-5-2, for me that is the best way to use Vydra this season - however much it may seem like sacrifice playing time for one of our best players. At the end of the day, however good a player is, if he isn't first choice in any position, then he has to sit on the bench. To be honest, I kind of think the same about Dyer if we play 3-5-2. Clearly a really good player, and it's a shame to exclude him - but is he really capable of defending like Pudil can? Maybe he'd work wide left in a 3-5-2 as (again) a supersub, put on with half an hour left if we're in a position where we don't win unless we gamble. I'm guessing that my attitude towards excluding good players will get thumbs down - but hey, we have a good squad, so we have to exclude good players! And I don't see there's any other way around it if we have too many good players with only one space per position in a starting 11. If you play 4-3-3, Vydra isn't first choice up front, and shouldn't be first choice on either wing if Dyer and Anya can do a better job.[/p][/quote]Hear what you say, though it does sound counter-intuitive that MV has less chance of playing if we play 3 up front rather than 2 ! Still think 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 are the answer, with MV very much in the team / sharing pitch time with FF. Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 4

1:23pm Fri 1 Aug 14

GloryHornetBoy says...

Just play a 4-2-3-1 its not difficult.
A flat back four (with attack minded full backs if necessary), Toszer and Andrews in front, one of whom can assist further forward if need be, Dyer left, Anya right and Vydra in and around a target man e.g Deeney/Ighalo. From this the wingers interchange, Vydra runs past the centre forward into the channels but is close enough to the target man to play one twos and get flick ons etc. This is where Vydra hurts teams. ITS SIMPLE!!!!
Just play a 4-2-3-1 its not difficult. A flat back four (with attack minded full backs if necessary), Toszer and Andrews in front, one of whom can assist further forward if need be, Dyer left, Anya right and Vydra in and around a target man e.g Deeney/Ighalo. From this the wingers interchange, Vydra runs past the centre forward into the channels but is close enough to the target man to play one twos and get flick ons etc. This is where Vydra hurts teams. ITS SIMPLE!!!! GloryHornetBoy
  • Score: 5

1:32pm Fri 1 Aug 14

GloryHornetBoy says...

If we play a 3-5-2 then we have to have learnt from the World Cup when some of the successful teams played it but you have to press in the right areas high up the pitch at the right times and be disciplined at all times. The work rate is high but we should be fit enough for it. We now have the pace in the side we need to spring teams. Paredes RWB and Dyer LWB would be great in this formation with pace and energy to burn. Vydra up top with Deeney/Ighalo/Ranegi
e. The three in the middle, well take your pick Toszer/Abdi/Andrews/
Batty/Murray etc. I hope Sannino reads this as this 4-3-3 really wont get the best from this highly talented squad.
If we play a 3-5-2 then we have to have learnt from the World Cup when some of the successful teams played it but you have to press in the right areas high up the pitch at the right times and be disciplined at all times. The work rate is high but we should be fit enough for it. We now have the pace in the side we need to spring teams. Paredes RWB and Dyer LWB would be great in this formation with pace and energy to burn. Vydra up top with Deeney/Ighalo/Ranegi e. The three in the middle, well take your pick Toszer/Abdi/Andrews/ Batty/Murray etc. I hope Sannino reads this as this 4-3-3 really wont get the best from this highly talented squad. GloryHornetBoy
  • Score: 6

2:02pm Fri 1 Aug 14

peter10531089 says...

Gloryhornetboy - two great posts especially the 4-2-3-1 which accommodates everyone and plays to everyone's strength. Disagree with earlier comments from people that systems don't matter - they are absolutely fundamental for getting the best out of the best players
Coyh
Gloryhornetboy - two great posts especially the 4-2-3-1 which accommodates everyone and plays to everyone's strength. Disagree with earlier comments from people that systems don't matter - they are absolutely fundamental for getting the best out of the best players Coyh peter10531089
  • Score: 4

2:13pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Harry's Bar says...

GloryHornetBoy wrote:
Just play a 4-2-3-1 its not difficult.
A flat back four (with attack minded full backs if necessary), Toszer and Andrews in front, one of whom can assist further forward if need be, Dyer left, Anya right and Vydra in and around a target man e.g Deeney/Ighalo. From this the wingers interchange, Vydra runs past the centre forward into the channels but is close enough to the target man to play one twos and get flick ons etc. This is where Vydra hurts teams. ITS SIMPLE!!!!
It doesn't sound that simple, playing with no offensive midfielders. Where would Abdi play?
[quote][p][bold]GloryHornetBoy[/bold] wrote: Just play a 4-2-3-1 its not difficult. A flat back four (with attack minded full backs if necessary), Toszer and Andrews in front, one of whom can assist further forward if need be, Dyer left, Anya right and Vydra in and around a target man e.g Deeney/Ighalo. From this the wingers interchange, Vydra runs past the centre forward into the channels but is close enough to the target man to play one twos and get flick ons etc. This is where Vydra hurts teams. ITS SIMPLE!!!![/p][/quote]It doesn't sound that simple, playing with no offensive midfielders. Where would Abdi play? Harry's Bar
  • Score: 4

2:30pm Fri 1 Aug 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

GloryHornetBoy wrote:
Just play a 4-2-3-1 its not difficult.
A flat back four (with attack minded full backs if necessary), Toszer and Andrews in front, one of whom can assist further forward if need be, Dyer left, Anya right and Vydra in and around a target man e.g Deeney/Ighalo. From this the wingers interchange, Vydra runs past the centre forward into the channels but is close enough to the target man to play one twos and get flick ons etc. This is where Vydra hurts teams. ITS SIMPLE!!!!
I'd sooner play Vydra/Deeney/Ranegie up front and then Ighalo/Forestieri/Ab
di/McGugan in the CAM role if we went for that formation. Although I don't think your formation really works anyway... The very idea that you only have one central attacking midfielder and one center forward with our squad seems rather wasteful...
[quote][p][bold]GloryHornetBoy[/bold] wrote: Just play a 4-2-3-1 its not difficult. A flat back four (with attack minded full backs if necessary), Toszer and Andrews in front, one of whom can assist further forward if need be, Dyer left, Anya right and Vydra in and around a target man e.g Deeney/Ighalo. From this the wingers interchange, Vydra runs past the centre forward into the channels but is close enough to the target man to play one twos and get flick ons etc. This is where Vydra hurts teams. ITS SIMPLE!!!![/p][/quote]I'd sooner play Vydra/Deeney/Ranegie up front and then Ighalo/Forestieri/Ab di/McGugan in the CAM role if we went for that formation. Although I don't think your formation really works anyway... The very idea that you only have one central attacking midfielder and one center forward with our squad seems rather wasteful... The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Fri 1 Aug 14

neilhorn says...

yawn
yawn neilhorn
  • Score: -6

2:58pm Fri 1 Aug 14

itsafamilyclub!!! says...

neilhorn wrote:
yawn
Really? I think it is another good article by Frank Smith and an interesting discussion about quite an important aspect of Watford's success this season..

Whats up neilhorn?
[quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: yawn[/p][/quote]Really? I think it is another good article by Frank Smith and an interesting discussion about quite an important aspect of Watford's success this season.. Whats up neilhorn? itsafamilyclub!!!
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Fri 1 Aug 14

JonBoy says...

With Saninno in charge I fear we are Friar Tucked
With Saninno in charge I fear we are Friar Tucked JonBoy
  • Score: -1

3:27pm Fri 1 Aug 14

reids1 says...

endean2 wrote:
if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................
god help us.
People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................ god help us.[/p][/quote]People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant. reids1
  • Score: 5

3:29pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Harry's Bar says...

JonBoy wrote:
With Saninno in charge I fear we are Friar Tucked
Jackson Pollocks!
[quote][p][bold]JonBoy[/bold] wrote: With Saninno in charge I fear we are Friar Tucked[/p][/quote]Jackson Pollocks! Harry's Bar
  • Score: -2

3:36pm Fri 1 Aug 14

itsafamilyclub!!! says...

JonBoy wrote:
With Saninno in charge I fear we are Friar Tucked
im thinking you are a bit of a struggle and grunt
[quote][p][bold]JonBoy[/bold] wrote: With Saninno in charge I fear we are Friar Tucked[/p][/quote]im thinking you are a bit of a struggle and grunt itsafamilyclub!!!
  • Score: 0

3:48pm Fri 1 Aug 14

neilhorn says...

itsafamilyclub!!! wrote:
neilhorn wrote:
yawn
Really? I think it is another good article by Frank Smith and an interesting discussion about quite an important aspect of Watford's success this season..

Whats up neilhorn?
i just find discussion on tactics terminally boring
[quote][p][bold]itsafamilyclub!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: yawn[/p][/quote]Really? I think it is another good article by Frank Smith and an interesting discussion about quite an important aspect of Watford's success this season.. Whats up neilhorn?[/p][/quote]i just find discussion on tactics terminally boring neilhorn
  • Score: 2

4:22pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Hornet Cornet says...

Not bothered about Ranegie to be honest, he'll be suspended most of the season anyway.

Bring back Colin west

HC
Not bothered about Ranegie to be honest, he'll be suspended most of the season anyway. Bring back Colin west HC Hornet Cornet
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Fri 1 Aug 14

endean2 says...

reids1 wrote:
endean2 wrote:
if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................
god help us.
People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.
oh if only it were that simple
its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more
fundamental than that.
I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence
in Sannino as a manager.
The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd
rate manager.
I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble
pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.
[quote][p][bold]reids1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................ god help us.[/p][/quote]People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.[/p][/quote]oh if only it were that simple its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more fundamental than that. I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence in Sannino as a manager. The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd rate manager. I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case. endean2
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Fri 1 Aug 14

goldanboy says...

Whatever the formation there's going to be some unhappy bunnies come matchday. Fessi, Anya, Andrews and even maybe Abdi may find themselves on the bench. Build the squad round Tozzer and Abdi I say. One thing, stick to one formation. All teams do this with a little flexibility. Let other teams change their formation for us. Just make your mind up Beppe now, it's getting late!
Whatever the formation there's going to be some unhappy bunnies come matchday. Fessi, Anya, Andrews and even maybe Abdi may find themselves on the bench. Build the squad round Tozzer and Abdi I say. One thing, stick to one formation. All teams do this with a little flexibility. Let other teams change their formation for us. Just make your mind up Beppe now, it's getting late! goldanboy
  • Score: 3

7:09pm Fri 1 Aug 14

rousman 2 says...

endean2 wrote:
reids1 wrote:
endean2 wrote:
if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................
god help us.
People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.
oh if only it were that simple
its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more
fundamental than that.
I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence
in Sannino as a manager.
The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd
rate manager.
I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble
pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.
It is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce & letting Frank Spencer drive it.
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]reids1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................ god help us.[/p][/quote]People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.[/p][/quote]oh if only it were that simple its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more fundamental than that. I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence in Sannino as a manager. The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd rate manager. I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.[/p][/quote]It is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce & letting Frank Spencer drive it. rousman 2
  • Score: 0

7:12pm Fri 1 Aug 14

rousman 2 says...

endean2 wrote:
reids1 wrote:
endean2 wrote:
if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................
god help us.
People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.
oh if only it were that simple
its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more
fundamental than that.
I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence
in Sannino as a manager.
The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd
rate manager.
I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble
pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.
It is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce & letting Frank Spencer drive it for you.
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]reids1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................ god help us.[/p][/quote]People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.[/p][/quote]oh if only it were that simple its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more fundamental than that. I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence in Sannino as a manager. The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd rate manager. I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.[/p][/quote]It is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce & letting Frank Spencer drive it for you. rousman 2
  • Score: 0

8:00pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Boosey says...

If Sannino isn't the man for the job there's plenty of managers on this thread who could fill the void. All experts slagging a man off who only wants to do his best for our club, give him and your tactics a break.
If Sannino isn't the man for the job there's plenty of managers on this thread who could fill the void. All experts slagging a man off who only wants to do his best for our club, give him and your tactics a break. Boosey
  • Score: 4

10:49pm Fri 1 Aug 14

EltonForever says...

neilhorn wrote:
yawn
Big yawn!
[quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: yawn[/p][/quote]Big yawn! EltonForever
  • Score: 0

6:27am Sat 2 Aug 14

SJM...laugh at luton says...

rousman 2 wrote:
endean2 wrote:
reids1 wrote:
endean2 wrote:
if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................
god help us.
People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.
oh if only it were that simple
its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more
fundamental than that.
I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence
in Sannino as a manager.
The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd
rate manager.
I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble
pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.
It is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce & letting Frank Spencer drive it for you.
Nice
[quote][p][bold]rousman 2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]reids1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: if Beppe does not know the best formation to play by now................ god help us.[/p][/quote]People complain when we don't have a Plan B, he practises with a Plan B during pre-season and gets slated for it. Brilliant.[/p][/quote]oh if only it were that simple its not the case of alternative game plans plan a or b or c, its a lot more fundamental than that. I and a good many other posters simply do not have the confidence in Sannino as a manager. The best squad ever assembled but wasted on an inaffective and 2nd rate manager. I would love to be proved wrong and will be the first to eat humble pie on this forum,somehow I don't think that will be the case.[/p][/quote]It is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce & letting Frank Spencer drive it for you.[/p][/quote]Nice SJM...laugh at luton
  • Score: 0

9:28am Sat 2 Aug 14

Eurotourhorn says...

beppe is the one on trial. We have had all these friendlies and he has not even tried 4 4 2 with troy and vydra up top. With these riches of talent is the manager up to getting the best out of them? Hope my scepticism is unfounded. 442 today please.
beppe is the one on trial. We have had all these friendlies and he has not even tried 4 4 2 with troy and vydra up top. With these riches of talent is the manager up to getting the best out of them? Hope my scepticism is unfounded. 442 today please. Eurotourhorn
  • Score: 2

3:11am Sun 3 Aug 14

PozzoHornet says...

holtonian wrote:
Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season.
In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol
Must say this is a very naive/outdated way of looking at football. To win any game tactics and formations matter. It's the reason Real Madrid won the Champions League this year and and why Bayern won it last year. It's the reason Costa Rica did so well at this year's World Cup and why Spain did so poorly. In any case, the original 2-3-5 formation was overtaken because it didn't work anymore. Defence overtook it. And the best 11 win 9 times out of 10? Certainly not. By that logic, Burnley should not have been promoted, Wigan shouldn't have stayed in the top flight for so long, Hungary should have won a World Cup, Bradford shouldn't have made the League Cup Final and we should have been promoted by now! Alas, these things did happen, as have many other unlikely successes and failures, and this unpredictability is the beauty of football. It's the reason we come back after every defeat; the reason why we carried on coming during Zola's bad run; the reason our average attendance last season was higher than the season before, and the reason why we sell out our away allocations to Man City. Because we as football fans believe that we always have a good chance of winning and that the better team will not always win. We always have hope.
[quote][p][bold]holtonian[/bold] wrote: Always makes me smile with so called set up formations. Your only as good as the side or 11 chosen. Its very simple you have a goalkeeper, 2 fullbacks 2 wing halfs or backs and a 1 centre half , 2 midfielders 2 wingers and one centre forward. In each game all formats are used. Its about the players you have no formation will ever overcome the strength of a player. As for Vydra he should be good up front or wide as he has speed. His strength being a one two type as shown last at WFC. One thing for certain is there will be genuine competition for places this season. In a nutshell its 11 against 11. And 9 times out of 10 the best 11 wins no matter how, who or what formation is picked.Lol[/p][/quote]Must say this is a very naive/outdated way of looking at football. To win any game tactics and formations matter. It's the reason Real Madrid won the Champions League this year and and why Bayern won it last year. It's the reason Costa Rica did so well at this year's World Cup and why Spain did so poorly. In any case, the original 2-3-5 formation was overtaken because it didn't work anymore. Defence overtook it. And the best 11 win 9 times out of 10? Certainly not. By that logic, Burnley should not have been promoted, Wigan shouldn't have stayed in the top flight for so long, Hungary should have won a World Cup, Bradford shouldn't have made the League Cup Final and we should have been promoted by now! Alas, these things did happen, as have many other unlikely successes and failures, and this unpredictability is the beauty of football. It's the reason we come back after every defeat; the reason why we carried on coming during Zola's bad run; the reason our average attendance last season was higher than the season before, and the reason why we sell out our away allocations to Man City. Because we as football fans believe that we always have a good chance of winning and that the better team will not always win. We always have hope. PozzoHornet
  • Score: 1

3:40am Sun 3 Aug 14

PozzoHornet says...

Clearly we are going to be changing formation to suit the opposition this season. I believe Sannino has expressed this in a previous interview. Not necessarily a bad thing as hopefully that means we'll go into every match with our own plan on how to play the opposition and teams won't be able to second guess us and figure us out as happened under Zola. That's the aim anyway. The downside is it may hurt defensive chemistry and understanding if we change our backline from week to week, like the start of last season. Same goes for our attacking players. We're taking a different approach this season, which is refreshing. Let's just see how it goes and try to enjoy it.

Oh, and Vydra is clearly not suited to be a lone striker. He proved as much with West Brom last season. He was at his best in the rare moments when he and Victor Anichebe were playing along side each other, but clearly neither Clarke nor Mel had payed any attention to his time with us. Hope Sannino doesn't make the same mistake.
Clearly we are going to be changing formation to suit the opposition this season. I believe Sannino has expressed this in a previous interview. Not necessarily a bad thing as hopefully that means we'll go into every match with our own plan on how to play the opposition and teams won't be able to second guess us and figure us out as happened under Zola. That's the aim anyway. The downside is it may hurt defensive chemistry and understanding if we change our backline from week to week, like the start of last season. Same goes for our attacking players. We're taking a different approach this season, which is refreshing. Let's just see how it goes and try to enjoy it. Oh, and Vydra is clearly not suited to be a lone striker. He proved as much with West Brom last season. He was at his best in the rare moments when he and Victor Anichebe were playing along side each other, but clearly neither Clarke nor Mel had payed any attention to his time with us. Hope Sannino doesn't make the same mistake. PozzoHornet
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree