Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Former Watford owner Laurence Bassini interested in taking over Portsmouth
9:53am Thursday 23rd August 2012 in Watford FC News
Former Watford owner Laurence Bassini is in talks with Portsmouth's administrator about the possibility of taking over at the financially-stricken club.
The Stanmore-based businessman held discussions with administrator Trevor Birch at the end of last week and was reportedly in the stands for Pompey’s 1-1 draw with Bournemouth on Saturday.
Bassini took control of the Hornets in 2011 for £440,000, using the newly-created company Watford FC Limited.
Before Bassini's takeover, the Watford Observer revealed he had changed his surname from Bazini after being declared bankrupt five years ago.
His brief reign ended in June this year when he sold the club to the Pozzo family, which owns Italian side Udinese and Spanish club Granada.
Former Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou was part of Bassini's negotiation team during the sale to the Pozzos.
When asked about Bassini, current Pompey administrator Birch confirmed early discussions with a third party had been held.
He said: "We have recently received interest from another party and we are at an initial stage of talking to them to see if this could form the basis of a bid.
"However, it’s much too early to speculate on the likelihood of this leading to some sort of offer."
He confirmed further discussions with Balram Chainrai’s Portpin and the Pompey Supporters’ Trust, which wants to take over with a fans-backed community bid, had taken place over the last few days.
Colin Farmery, spokesman for the trust, said: "Mr Bassini has contacted us and they were cordial talks.
"In view of the timescale we have suggested to Mr Bassini that he pursues his bid in his own right and if he is successful in the bid then we would be more than happy to talk to him.
"However the trust is looking to take control of the club in its own right and that’s our key focus."