Tributes have been made to one of St Albans City FC’s most “successful and inspirational” captains who died following a battle against Alzheimer’s.

The football club announced on its website that Dave Neville, who joined St Albans City in January 1968, passed away at the age of 75 on August 26.

After spending 10 years as captain with Finchley, Dave made the move to City during Sid Prosser’s first season as manager and went to make 281 appearances for the club.

The club did not run a Reserve term under Prosser but instead filled the fixture list with extra cup ties.

It was in a 2-0 Premier Midweek League defeat at Hounslow on Wednesday January 31 that Neville made his City debut.

The following Tuesday saw Dave play his first game on home soil, as the Saints drew 1-1 with his former club, Finchley, again in the Premier Midweek League.

City ended the season in fifth place in the Isthmian League, their highest placing for 13 years and it was only the third time since 1930 that the Club had finished in the top five of the then single Division Isthmian League.

The team included some of the greatest City players since the “glory days” of the 1920s. Dave Lawrence was captain and also in the team were Phil Wood, Denis Gibbs, John Butterfield, Bill Broomfield, Bill Ratty and Bobby Childs.

Dave was born in Wood Green on February 10 1942 and played for the Wood Green District Schoolboys as well as Middlesex and London Schools.

He had a trial with Arsenal and during ten-years with Finchley played representative matches for Middlesex, London and the FA Amateur XI.

He worked as a draughtsman throughout his life based in Deptford.

He was married to Jill with the couple having God children and with his second wife Joan he had a son, Jonathan.

He had two brothers, Stephen and Mick. After retiring, Dave and Joan bought a house in Austria and he became a skier.

Dave Neville passed away on August 26 2017 and his funeral will be held at Enfield Crematorium on Wednesday, 13th September, at 12.30pm.

The family will have a St Albans City flag at the funeral to mark the significance that the Club had in his life.