M1 AND M25 MOTORWAYS & A405 TRUNK ROAD TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONSNotice ID: MFN0636473
M1 AND M25 MOTORWAYS & A405 TRUNK ROAD TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS
Notice is hereby given that National Highways intends to make an Order on the M1 and M25 Motorways, and the A405 Trunk Road, in the County of Hertfordshire and the London Borough of Barnet and Harrow, under Sections 14(1)(a), 14(1)(c) and 14(7) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 because works are proposed to be executed on the road. The effect of the Order would be, in phases, to: -
1. authorise the overnight closure of-
(a) both carriageways of the M1 between Junction 1 (A406) and Junction 8 (A414);
(b) sections of both carriageways of the M25 between Junction 14 (A3113/Heathrow Spur Road) and Junction 26 (A121)
(c) both carriageways of the A405 between M1 Junction 6 and M25 Junction 21A roundabout;
(d) any slip and link road leading to and from the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (a) to (c) above;
(e) the entire circulatory system at M25 Junction 21A (A405), M25 Junction 23 (A1 (M)/A1) and M25 Junction 25 (A10);
(f) the hard shoulder adjacent to the lengths of carriageway and slip/ link roads described in 1. (a) to (d) above; and
(g) any emergency refuge area adjacent to the lengths of carriageway in 1. (b) above.
2. impose a mandatory overnight 50mph speed limit on the lengths of carriageway, slip and link roads and roundabouts described in 1. above.
3. impose an overnight temporary 10mph speed restriction while traffic is escorted through the works area by a convoy system, on the lengths of carriageway and relating slip and link roads described in 1. (c) and (d) above.
4. authorise the overnight suspension of the Motorway Regulations prohibiting use of the outside lane by HGVs on the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (a) and (b) above.
5. authorise the overnight use of the hard shoulder adjacent to the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (a) and (b) above, and any slip and link road described in 1. (d) above.
6. authorise the overnight closure of any lay-by, bus stop or gap in the central reservation adjacent to the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (c) above.
7. authorise the overnight closure of any side road at junction with the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (c) and circulatory system in 1. (e) above.
These measures would be in the interests of road safety while contractors undertake Programmed Cyclical Maintenance (bridge maintenance, drainage, lighting, signage, inspections and surveys, maintenance and clearance of vegetation, litter picking and clearance, road sweeping, emergency crossing point maintenance, electrical loop works, road markings and road studs, and clearance of injurious weeds).
The duration of each closure would vary depending on the nature of the maintenance work being undertaken on each occasion. The programme of works would start on or after 2nd January 2022. The overnight closures would be in operation between (maximum period):
Monday - Thursdays 22:00 - 05:30
Fridays 23:00 - 06:00
Saturdays 22:00 - 06:00
Sundays 22:30 - 05:30
(apart from M1 Junctions 21:00 - 06:00 every day)
Planned maintenance work would be scheduled to avoid disruption during known peak periods, although essential maintenance may be necessary during these periods to prevent the need for emergency works. In such cases less disruptive options would be considered.
The Order would come into force on 2nd January 2022 and remain in force until 24th December 2022.
Traffic affected by the closures would be diverted via other junctions of the M1, M25 and A405 or by using the M4, M40, A1, A1 (M), A4, A10, A41, A404, A406, A411, A412, A414, A1081, A3113 and the A5183. The diversion in operation would vary according to the closure in force, and the roads listed are the agreed routes, but these may change depending on local conditions.
A copy of the M1, M25 and A405 Cyclical Maintenance Programme and the intended diversion routes are available from the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 or email at
. The temporary speed limits, closures, hard shoulder and HGV outside lane running, convoy working, and diversion routes would be clearly indicated by traffic signs when they are in operation during the works period.
J Downham, an Official of National Highways Ltd.
Ref: NH/SE/2022/M25/CMO, AREA5MWAY/CMO, AREA5TRUNK/CMO
National Highways, (Company No. 9346363). Registered Office:
Bridge House, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4LZ. A company registered in England and Wales.
For enquiries, please contact the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 or