A DEAF_BLIND boy who was a regular resident of a children’s care centre has died aged 10.

Lennon Ruffles died after suffering seizures where his heart stopped on Thursday, August 3.

He had gone to bed crying, and began suffering seizures at 10pm on Tuesday August 1. He was rushed to Lister Hospital in Stevenage where he was put on life support.

Overnight his condition deteriorated, and the hospital found Lennon had bowel obstructions, and so he was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, but surgeons found they could not save him.

Although the family had planned for Lennon to spend his final moments at the Keech Hospice in Luton, the risk of getting him there was too great, and he finally died in the early hours of Thursday morning.

After Lennon’s death he was taken to the Keech Hospice, and will stay there until his funeral held on Tuesday at Harwood Crematorium in Stevenage.

His mother Nikki Lancaster said: It was all really quick, and we had hoped to take him to Keech, as they have been amazing, but the risk was too great.

“We have been able to visit him there, and my daughters have been able to take pictures and spend time with him, but they have found it really tough.

“When you have a child with a life-limiting illness, you think you prepare yourself for it.

“We have known from the day he was born that we would outlive him. At first doctors gave him two days, and then two years, but nothing prepares you for it. It is just horrible.”

“He was amazing, he was really happy and loved life. He loved school, and hated the school holidays.

“He was a real thrill seeker, and enjoyed being outside. We took him skiing in Hemel Hempstead, which he loved, and he loved being in the water.”

Lennon attended Nascot Lawn Respite Centre, which is under threat of closure due to NHS funding cuts. Nikki has been a passionate campaigner in fighting to keep the centre open.

The care Lennon received at the centre meant that he could be left alone as the staff knew how to provide care for him his complex medical needs.

When he was taken to Great Ormond Street Hospital, Nikki would have to stay with him as staff would not know how to provide care for his condition.

She added: “When the funeral is over and the girls are back at school, I will keep campaigning for Nascot Lawn, as it will give me something to focus on.

“The decision to continue funding for Nascot Lawn was taken before Lennon passed, but I hope that a formula is put in place to continue the service for good.

“Nascot Lawn was a saving grace to us and without it we probably would not have been able to get through the last 10 years.”