A 17-year-old boy who is accused of murdering his sister’s “secret boyfriend” has been described as “honest, caring, and kind-hearted” by people who know him.

The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is on trial at St Albans Crown Court over the death of 18-year-old Risaan Udayakumar who was killed at a house in The Avenue, Watford, on July 10 last year.

Risaan died when he was fatally stabbed in the heart while hiding in the garage of his girlfriend’s home.

At court today, statements from those who know the accused were read out to the court by his defence team.

A 17-year-old friend described the defendant as an “honest guy” who would always tell him to his face what he was thinking. He added that the accused was close to his family and was a keen footballer.

Another teenager described the defendant as “kind-hearted, caring, and easy to socialise with”, saying he doesn’t drink or smoke.

He said on the night of Risaan’s death, he had been watching football on the television with the defendant and he was his “normal bubbly self”.

His statement ended saying he was “gobsmacked” to hear the next day about what had happened in Watford, thinking he was the “last person to do something like that”, adding it was “out of character”.

A 17-year-old girl described the accused as “caring and protective” while a former teacher said he was “popular” at school and “respectful”.

Watford Observer:

Risaan Udayakumar, pictured, died after he was stabbed at a home in Watford

The court heard on Tuesday that the brother and sister were under “strict instruction” to have no one round while their parents were away.

But the daughter met Risaan, who lived with his parents in Wembley, at Watford Junction and invited him back to her home.

The jury were told how her brother, aged 16 at the time, came back to the home in Watford, and fearing Risaan might be found, hid him in their garage.

The prosecutor said the defendant was “angry” and “looking for someone” after he knocked on her door.

The jury heard he searched the house and eventually found Risaan hiding in the garage.

The court was told he then began “hitting” Risaan, and his sister soon realised her boyfriend was being stabbed with a knife.

Risaan was rushed to Watford General Hospital but he was pronounced dead at 10.41pm that evening.

The trial continues.

Read more: Brother accused of murdering sister's secret boyfriend in Watford