A fire crew were called more than 70 miles away to a warehouse blaze - day after it broke out.

Hertfordshire Fire & Rescue says one of its crews from Watford were called to a fire at an Ocado warehouse in Andover, Hampshire, which broke out in the very early hours of Tuesday morning.

More than 200 firefighters altogether were deployed to tackle the blaze at Walworth Business Park, which was declared as a major incident.

Watford Observer:

Picture credit: Rich Warman

Four firefighters who attended were treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire was so intense and big, a crew from Watford were asked to help out so they went with their aerial ladder platform which can deliver water onto a fire at height and also provide a stable platform for carrying out a variety of operations.

Watford Observer:

A cordon was put in place as thick black smoke filled the air. Picture: Andover Advertiser

The fire was brought under control on Wednesday morning, but the blaze flared up again yesterday, prompting a call for help.

The fire in the robot-run distribution centre spread rapidly on Tuesday night, causing part of the warehouse roof to collapse.

Some online orders have had to be cancelled as a result of the fire.

Watford Observer:

The huge blaze broke out in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Credit: Russell Downs

People living within a 500m of the area were evacuated yesterday, after a fear of toxic chemicals.

Crews worked through the night to bring the fire back under control.

Hampshire Fire & Rescue has said: "We can now confirm that the evacuation area around the Ocado fire site in Andover has been lifted.

"It is no longer considered to be a major incident and roads around are the site are open, although firefighting operations continue.

"Teams from HFRS have been working hard overnight to support the safe removal of toxic chemicals which has been successfully completed."

An Ocado spokesman said: "Unfortunately the fire which started yesterday morning in a corner of the ambient grid was not contained as we believed, and last night expanded.

"Whilst we are informed by the Fire Brigade that it is now under control, during the night part of the roof collapsed and there has been substantial damage to the majority of the building and its contents.

"Ocado confirms that no members of the Ocado team or the public have been injured. We are very grateful to the members of the emergency services for their efforts.”

Watford Observer:

Picture credit: Fordingbridge fire station