A woman who had been kidnapped and raped used a bottle of vodka her attackers had asked her to buy as a weapon in her escape.

The woman was one of two abducted in Chingford and Edgware on Thursday before being raped and taken to Watford in a car.

Police were called to Osborne Road on Thursday at around 2.30pm when the women escaped.

A source has told this newspaper that at some point during their abduction the women were told to go to a shop and buy alcohol, tampons and condoms.

They dashed for freedom after one woman smashed a bottle of vodka over the head of her one of the attackers, cutting her hand in the process.

Two workmen on a nearby building project came to their rescue when they saw the girls running towards them. The workmen then chased off the kidnappers, who sped off in what police believe to have been a silver or grey Ford S-Max.

The boss of construction company Green Contractors Ltd, who wished only to be named as Alex, said that the attacker threatened to kill one of his employees who came to the women's rescue.

Alex said of the attacker: "He went after her really pulling her by the hair, when the girl started to scream 'help, help, help'.

"One of my workers went towards the victim and shouted 'leave it, leave it' and punched the perpetrator. He released the girl and started to get into a fighting position to fight back to the worker."

Other builders came to help their colleague, and one of the women managed to hit the suspected rapist over the head with a bottle.

He then fled, telling the rescuer: "My friend, you're dead."

Alex added: "He was very aggressive, they thought it was some kind of a domestic row.

"I'm very shocked how an adult can be dragged into a car like that."

The women are then said to have sought help at Top Build, a building company in Sandown Road.

Witnesses say the women were ‘hysterical’ when they entered and the girl who had used the bottle was heavily bleeding from her hand.

Staff at Top Build carried out first aid on the woman’s hand before police arrived.

Police yesterday arrested a 33-year-old man in connection to the abduction on suspicion of conspiracy to rape. Police have taken him into custody at a west London police station – but Met Police say the hunt for the rapist continues.

Detectives investigating the abduction have released CCTV images of the suspected rapist as he attempted to book a hotel and have revealed the man has a distinctive tattoo.

Watford Observer:

The image was captured by cameras at the hotel in the Watford area around 1pm on Thursday.

A source said one man booked a room at Phoenix Lodge in St Albans Road, paying £90, but never came back.

The suspect is described as a white man of muscular build, aged in his late 20s or early 30s, with a bald head or shaved blond hair and a light-coloured short beard.

He is described as having a distinctive tattoo of the name ‘bobbie’ on his stomach.

Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin, who leads the investigation, said: “Our investigation into these appalling crimes is making good process and my team continue to work extremely hard but we urgently need the help of the public to identify and trace this man.

“I would ask everyone to take a good look at his image – does this man look familiar? Do you know anyone with the name ‘bobbie’ tattooed on his stomach?

“Did you see a man matching this description in and around the Chingford or Edgware areas on Thursday, April 25?

“We believe he travelled around north London and Hertfordshire in his car from the early hours of Thursday and he may have come into contact with other members of the public.

“Equally he may have abandoned his car somewhere - if an unfamiliar car of this description is now parked on your street, call police straight away.”

Anyone with information should call 0208 785 8244 or 999 quoting CAD 3041/25Apr, or tweet @MetCC and or Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.