A sickness outbreak at a bar in Watford was norovirus, tests have confirmed.

Many people reported feeling ill after visiting Walkabout in the town centre on the night of May 18 - which was also FA Cup Final day.

They said they were suffering from symptoms including diarrhoea and vomiting, and those affected were urged to take care of their hygiene and wash properly.

An investigation was launched and Walkabout was shut from the evening of May 21 and most of May 22, but reopened following a deep-clean of the site.

Watford Borough Council says test results have confirmed visitors did suffer from a bout of norovirus and it has ruled out that an ice machine at the venue was to blame for people becoming ill.

A Watford Borough Council officer said: "The test results confirm that it was norovirus. The investigation is still ongoing, it is unlikely we will be able to prove the exact source of the virus but we have ruled out possibilities such as the ice machine or food served at the venue.

"This leaves us with the likelihood that the source was a person who spread the illness directly or indirectly through their contact with surfaces within the venue.”

Norovirus, also called the "winter vomiting bug", is a stomach bug that causes vomiting and diarrhoea. It can be very unpleasant, but usually goes away in about 2 days. Norovirus can spread very easily.

The NHS website says common ways of catching norovirus is close contact with someone who has it, touching surfaces or objects that have the virus on them, then touching your mouth, or eating food that's been prepared or handled by someone with the infection.