A "reckless" fleeing motorcyclist who reached speeds of up to 100mph in 30mph zones has been jailed for dangerous driving.

Corey Briscoe-McLeary, 38, of Janson Close, Neasden, north west London, led police on a 45 minute pursuit in January, before he was abruptly stopped by a stinger device in Watford.

Met Police officers, specifically targeting moped criminals, were alerted by the police helicopter to a suspicious fast-moving motorbike in Harlesden, Brent, at around 4.20pm on January 29.

The rider, Briscoe-McLeary, was ignoring red traffic lights and travelling at high speed, at one stage disappearing into the multi-storey car park at Brent Cross shopping centre.

The bike was tracked by police onto the M1 out of London, heading towards Hertfordshire, still without police directly pursuing the bike.

The motorcyclist sped along the M1, exiting at junction five for Watford, and turning onto the A41 in the direction of the Dome roundabout.

But police were lying in wait on the A41 at the junction with Woodmere Avenue.

A stinger was thrown across the road, bursting the bike's tyres.

Briscoe-McLeary crashed immediately, colliding with a police car. He was arrested.

Watford Observer:

The scene on the A41. Credit: Met Police

Watford Observer:

This stinger was deployed on the A41. Credit: Met Police

Watford Observer:

Briscoe-McLeary came off his bike. Credit: Met Police

Two days later, he pleaded guilty at Willesden Magistrates Court to

  • dangerous driving
  • possession of Class B drugs (Cannabis)
  • making off without making payment
  • driving without insurance
  • driving without a licence

On May 19, Briscoe-McLeary was sentenced to a total of eight months in prison at Harrow Crown Court for dangerous driving.

He was also sentenced for battery, possession of a class A drug (cocaine), possession of a class B drug (cannabis) and breach of conditional discharge. These offences took place prior to the incident on January 29.

Police Sergeant Tony McGovern, the officer in charge of the Operation Venice Scorpion Unit who deployed the stinger, said: "I have been a police officer for 15 years and the manner of riding displayed in this incident was one of the worst examples I have ever seen.

"It was highly dangerous and this individual put his own life, and the life of other members of the public, in serious danger - this was without police units in direct pursuit.

"The main focus of everyone involved in this incident was bringing it to a safe conclusion. We could not let the high powered motorcycle to continue riding in the manner it was – to allow it to continue would have posed even further serious risk to the public.

"It was clear Briscoe-McLeary was willing to take high risks to evade capture, and I am pleased that the actions taken prevented serious injury or worse coming to members of the public, and the rider himself.

"The reckless actions of Briscoe-McLeary during this incident show his clear lack of consideration or care for the judicial system, the public or the police."