A devastating fire that caused severe damage to several homes in north Watford was "accidental", the fire service has confirmed.

Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue said in a statement that the blaze last Saturday in Bradshaw Road, which rapidly ripped through people's back gardens, is "deemed to have been accidental".

More than sixty firefighters battled the blaze, which reportedly began in a railway embankment.

The fire then spread rapidly into people's back gardens, burning down fences - Hertfordshire Fire & Rescue said as many as 12 properties were affected.

Watford Observer:

Watford Observer:

The fire engulfed back gardens

Three houses were left severely damaged, with fences, sheds, gardens, and even homes left burnt out following the blaze.

Fortunately, there were no casualties.

The fire service says it cannot provide any more details as to how the fire started.

As the flames engulfed the back gardens last week, sirens could be heard in the background, with several fire engines attending the scene alongside incident response units and paramedics.

Watford Observer:

Watford Observer:

Homes and gardens were destroyed by the fire

A video shared on our Facebook page last week showed smoke pouring out of the front of a house in Bradshaw Road, with a cordon in place.

Firefighters could be heard telling people to 'keep back' while police officers directed residents back into their homes.

Watford Observer:

Kyle Gibbs, 21, and his gran Theresa managed to escape their rented home in Bradshaw Road unharmed, but everything else has been destroyed.

Kyle says all they have been left with is the clothes they were wearing.

He said: "I was putting some shopping away and could smell a bonfire or barbecue. I looked outside and noticed a neighbour near their fence and could see there was a fire but it was only small at the time.

"There was a bit of wind which brought the flames closer to the gardens. It got closer and soon our fence caught fire and then our shed and a tree caught fire too.

"The fire spread to our decking and then our conservatory caught fire."

His Dad, Jason, who lives in Borehamwood, has set up a fundraising page to help provide immediate support to his son and Theresa.

Mayor of Watford Peter Taylor confirmed that families left homeless by the fire were all given emergency accommodation.

The council says it is also working out the ongoing emergency accommodation requirements for all those affected by the fire.

Mr Taylor said: "Although the fire has caused a large amount of damage, as ever our overriding concern was for the safety of residents.

"I am really grateful for the response of our emergency services and that no one was injured. We were able to provide emergency accommodation for everyone and we will continue to support them after what was undoubtedly a traumatic experience.

"Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, Hertfordshire Police and British Red Cross reacted so quickly to this. All our thoughts are with those affected by this fire and we will continue to do all we can to help them."