Members of the armed forces from Watford who made the ultimate sacrifice may be commemorated in a new memorial in the town.

Elected mayor Peter Taylor has confirmed Watford Borough Council is looking at ways to display the names of all the town’s fallen soldiers at Watford Museum.

The move comes after a reader highlighted the brave and tragic story of a teenage paratrooper from Watford and his dog who were found side by side after being killed by an Allied aerial assault on D-Day.

Private Emile Corteil is one of the 22,442 people under British command whose name is inscribed on the British Normandy Memorial, which was unveiled on Sunday on the 77th anniversary of the landings.

Read more: Calls for Watford to honour D-Day hero and his dog

This prompted Simon Perry, who has visited Pte Corteil and ‘Para Dog’ Glen’s grave at Ranville Commonwealth War Cemetery, to call for the pair to be honoured locally as well.

On Monday, the Watford Observer reported Simon’s request to the council to consider erecting some form of permanent recognition or memorial, and the mayor has confirmed this may happen.

The epitaph on Pte Corteils grave was written by his mother

The epitaph on Pte Corteil's grave was written by his mother

He said: “I’m really proud of our town’s role in the two World Wars and the people from Watford who made the ultimate sacrifice, including those who fought in later conflicts such as Captain Tom Sawyer, Corporal Christopher Harrison and Private Tom Lake, who having touching memorials in their honour across the town.

“Private Emile Corteil's recognition at the British Normandy Memorial is very much deserved, along with the many others who bravely fought in WW2.

“The council is currently looking at ways to display all the names of our fallen soldiers in Watford Museum so that they can all be remembered and commemorated for their bravery."

Emile Corteil served as the dog handler for A Coy, 9th (Essex) Parachute Battalion and looked after Glen. Both took part in the Normandy landings on June 6, 1944 and safely completed their parachute descent. The 19-year-old was killed later that day by an Allied aerial assault and his faithful Alsatian died at his side. They were found still linked together by the dog's lead.