Barnet 0 Watford 3


Barnet's usually dependable defence fell victims of the same ploy twice, and trailed 2-0 against Watford at half time in Saturday's friendly.

Following a half-time shake-up, they improved, only to concede a third goal in the last minute.

It was Barnet's third game in eight days, following friendlies against Arsenal and Fulham.

'The players now have two days off ,, they probably need two weeks!' said manager John Still.

The Bees were caught cold after two minutes when a cross from the left by David Perpetuini sailed beyond the far post where Heider Helguson nodded it back inside for the unmarked Tommy Mooney to prod in from close range.

In a carbon copy, in the 27th minute, Barnet's defence was again exposed when Helguson darted down the left and crossed for Tommy Smith to head back inside for Mooney to notch his second with a well-placed header.

Wayne Purser was twice denied by Chris Day before the Bees escaped a penalty claim when Helguson was brought down by Greg Heald, but referee Mark Halsey, 25 yards away, deemed that the offence had taken place outside the box.

Barnet put together their best move of the match and were unlucky not to reply when Ken Charlery and Austin Berkley played in Ben Strevens whose first-time scissors kick was kept out magnificently by Day.

Impressive Helguson added Watford's third in the last minute, from an excellent cross by Nigel Gibbs.

BARNET: Harrison, Stockley, Toms, Heald, Basham, Briggs, Doolan, Purser, McGleish, Currie. Subs used: Wilson, Charlery, Berkley, Strevens, Darcy, Brown. Not used: Naisbitt, Bell.

WATFORD: (From) Day, Cox, Perpetuini, Page, Ward, Robinson, Helguson, Palmer, Easton, Smith, Mooney, Gibbs, Norbert, Foley, Miller, Ngonge, Chamberlain.

Attendance: 1,337

Enfield 0 Barnet 3

Barnet sparkled after a floodlight failure delayed the start of the second half of Tuesday's friendly with Enfield at Boreham Wood for 12 minutes. Ken Charlery (58 mins) and Wayne Purser (61mins) gave the Bees a 2-0 lead and man-of-the-match Darren Currie (70mins) fired a superb volley for the third.

Hendon striker Paul Whitmarsh is expected to join Welling United, relegated from the Nationwide Conference to the Dr Martens League at the end of last season.

Whitmarsh, who cost Hendon a club record fee of £10,000 in November 1997, is out of contract and goes for free under the Bosman ruling.

Laurie Thurgood, a founder member of Hendon Supporters' Association in the 1930's, has died. The funeral service will be held at Golders Green Crematorium on Wednesdy at 12.30pm.