Also: relive Watford's FA Cup final match with our gallery here

Though Watford Football Club lost their only appearance in the FA Cup final, that day in 1984 still brings back proud memories for Les Taylor.

It was Les who captained the Hornets in the 2-0 defeat to Everton on May 19.

And last week, the runners-up medal presented to Les was sold at auction for £3,960, though he has not seen it since giving it to his ex-wife 14 years ago.

Looking back on one of the biggest games in Watford’s history, Les told the Watford Observer: “I’m still the only player to lead Watford out at an FA Cup final.

“That day meant a great deal to me personally and the medal did as well.”

Les was born in North Shields on December 4, 1956, and was 23 when he joined Watford from Oxford United in November 1980 for £100,000, with Keith Cassells moving in the opposite direction.

The following season, in 1981-82, he helped Watford win promotion to the then-First Division and the following year, in 1982-83, helped the club finish runners-up in the top flight, their highest-ever league position.

Then in 1983-84, Watford reached the FA Cup final for the only time in the club’s history but were beaten 2-0 by the Toffees.

The second goal was particularly controversial as Hornets fans felt Andy Gray had fouled goalkeeper Steve Sherwood after heading the ball from his hands.

Wilf Rostron had been due to captain the Hornets at Wembley but he was forced to sit out after being sent off in a league game against Luton Town, presenting the armband to Les After making 172 league appearances for Watford in six years (1980-1986), Les moved on loan to Reading in October 1986 before signing for them permanently in December 1986.

He moved to Colchester United in January 1989 and retired the following year.

Les said: “[Being captain] was unexpected. Wilf got sent off two weeks before and missed out.

“[Then-Watford manager] Graham Taylor nominated me, which was great. I felt really honoured.

“On the day I had a really good game. Most of our best chances fell to me. The only thing that spoiled it was I didn’t score.

“Everton scored after 20 minutes but we had quite a few chances and not bad chances. Their second goal in the end was a bit controversial.

“It killed us a little bit.

“But for a club like Watford to have the run we had from the bottom division to the top division and play in Europe, it was the height of my career.

“And to be captain in the FA Cup final was tremendous and a great honour.

“They are great memories.”

Les, 53, is now youth development manager at Oxford United, who were last season promoted back into the Football League.

He was also recently inducted into the Watford FC Hall of Fame and is a member of the Watford Former Players Association.

He added: “The fans remember that day and when I come back, it’s one of the memories of a lifetime that you don’t forget.”

What memories or photographs of the 1984 FA Cup Final do readers have?