The wife and family of Sean Hoare, the former Watford Observer reporter found dead at his home in Watford on Monday, spoke today about the sadness caused by their loss.
Sean was a former News of the World reporter who found himself in the eye of the storm concerning phone hacking allegations when he went on the record to claim the newspaper’s editor Andy Coulson knew about the interception of mobile phone messages.
Sean married Jo in 1992, a few years after leaving the Watford Observer. He and Jo had been together for almost 25 years.
Today she said: “Sean was a much-loved husband and also son, brother and uncle who had a very unique and special character and was determined to follow his dreams, achieving so much in both his personal and professional life. Sean always put his family and loved ones first and would always be there to help.
“I love Sean and will forever. He was always there for me and was the best friend anyone could hope for and will always remain close to me and in my heart.
“As his family and close friends know, sadly, Sean has not been in the best of health in recent years. But this has still been a tremendous shock and a day I had always dreaded and hoped would never come because we wanted to continue to laugh, love and grow old together.
“Sean was a huge part of me for so long and I will miss him every day.
“I will, though, never forget the laughter we shared. Sean was funny, kind, loving, quick-witted and clever and many people said to me that he was one of those people 'once met, never forgotten'.”
His parents John and Diana also paid tribute and said: “Sean was a joy in our life, a loved and loving son who brought us so much happiness.
“We feel very supported and overwhelmed by the comments of his friends and colleagues and would like to thank them all for their thoughts and prayers which is a great comfort at a very sad time. We join with Joanne and her family in saying that he will always be with us.
“We would all also like to thank Hertfordshire police for their support and help over these recent days.”
The inquest into Sean’s death was opened and adjourned yesterday and the family will begin making funeral arrangements. .
Comments: Our rules
We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused.
Please report any comments that break our rules.
Read the rules here