Stefano Okaka scored the only goal of the game as Marco Silva claimed his first win as Watford manager at the expense of Viktoria Plzen.

Playing in the first of two friendlies as part of a training camp in Austria, Watford created the better of the chances, but were fortunate not to trail the Czech side after they struck the post in the first half.

New £4.5 million man, Will Hughes, came off the bench and provided the assist for Okaka with a scuffed volley.

Watford will look to build on the result when they take on SD Eibar on Saturday.

Silva opted to stick with a largely unchanged side form the one which started the 3-2 defeat at AFC Wimbledon on Saturday, making just one change to his XI.

The move saw Christian Kabasele replaced by Miguel Britos, while only six substitutes were named, despite a 31-man squad travelling to Austria.

Abdoulaye Doucoure drew the first save of the game as his powerful drive forced the Plzen keeper to tip over the bar at full-stretch after five minutes.

A competitive opening 15 minutes ended with Etienne Capoue trying his luck with a free-kick some 25 yards from goal.

His effort had power but was far too central and again Plzen’s number one was equal to it as he held the ball with ease.

Plzen were by no means making up the numbers and a strike from distance had Heurelho Gomes scrambling across his goal after 20 minutes as the ball fizzed wide.

Watford were straight back up the other end and should really have taken the lead through Stefano Okaka.

After a marauding run from Jose Holebas, the left-back’s low cross found Okaka but his connection from point blank range was poor and the shot deflected wide.

Watford were having the better of the game and Ben Watson became the latest Hornet to go close after a fine move.

Capoue, a useful outlet in midfield throughout, switched a sublime 50 yard pass out left for Isaac Success who skipped past his marker with ease and crossed for Watson.

The midfielder’s first-time volley was well struck, but went straight down the throat of Petr Bolek in the Plzen goal.

For all their dominance Watford could easily have gone in behind at the interval as a sweeping Plzen counter created their best chance of the half.

A pull-back from the right found Michal Krmenčík in space and his low shot looked set to find the bottom corner but instead cannoned off the base off the post.

The half-time break did little to help the Hornets as they started the second period slowly and risked going behind when a header across goal fell to Jan Kopic, who volleyed wide.

Chances at the other end had dried up as well with the Hornets failing to test the Plzen keeper in the first half hour of the second half.

Watford fans have been waiting patiently to see what new signing Hughes can offer and he was given just over 20 minutes to impress from the bench.

He provided energy in the heart of midfield and almost laid on a goal for Okaka after a smart turn on the by-line and low cross.

The burly striker couldn’t quite sort his feet out though and the chance went begging.

Okaka would not be so profligate with 12 minutes to play though as the duo combined the find the all-important winning goal.

After Nordin Amrabat’s drive from wide on the right was only partially punched clear, Hughes volleyed back towards goal and Okaka stabbed a smart finish home from close range.

It was a goal Watford deserved on the balance of play and they saw out the remainder of the game in relative comfort to secure the victory.