Eric Hand Challenge Cup Round Three

Third Division P&P Social caused a major upset as they put out Premier Division strugglers West Herts after a 6-5 thriller.

It was the underdogs who raced into a two-goal lead inside the first 12 minutes, with two almost identical efforts when the Stags failed to clear corners both times.

West Herts pulled a goal back through Sunnie Ighorae but then immediately conceded a third.

Chris Colman scored a second for the home side, P&P responded with two more quick-fire goals, Colman struck again, but another goal just before the break gave P&P a two-goal advantage as they led 5-3.

It went from bad to worse for West Herts when they conceded a sixth goal at the start of the second half, but they did launch a fight back, scoring twice through Roger Lake and Tiago Campos, but their opponents held on thanks to some resolute defending.

P&P won through thanks to Louie Lobjoit’s hat-trick, Billy Lobjoit’s brace and one from Aidan Thacker.

The heavyweight all-Premier Division clash between St Josephs and Reed Rangers saw Reed comfortably through after a 5-2 win.

Taylor Cobb scored the first of his two goals to give St Josephs an early lead, but Andrew Brennan raced through from centre-half to equalise with a shot from 25 yards.

Cobb struck again to restore Joes’ lead and Reed had to be thankful to goalkeeper Adrian Delaporte, who produced a vital double save to prevent his side being two goals adrift before the break.

Those saves proved a turning point as the game swung in favour of Reed early in the second half, with first Bradley Sweeney equalising five minutes after the restart, and then taking the lead for the first time in the tie on the hour mark thanks to a penalty from John Smith.

The comeback was completed with goals from Karl Penny and then Sweeney with his second in the final 15 minutes.

There was another 5-2 away victory as First Division Evergreen came through a difficult tie against Fourth Division Everett Rovers.

Evergreen took the lead against the run of play when a cross from Chris Johns floated over the keeper into the far corner. But Everett were level within five minutes when Alex Gilbert scored from close range after some good work from Barry Mitchell.

The upset looked on when Everett took the lead early in the second half when a long throw from Gilbert found Mitchell at the far post for an easy tap-in.

Evergreen drew level when from a move down the right, a cross from Johns was headed home by Tom Verbena. Then a long clearance down the middle was brought down by Alek Jokiel, who calmly slotted home.

Jokiel went past two defenders and slammed home from 18 yards to make it 4-2, before another move down the left ended with the ball being sent across the field where Jake Colley fired home from around 20 yards to complete the win.

Premier Division Chorleywood Club had an easy morning, beating First Division RD FC 8-1.

After making the breakthrough from an own goal, a second soon followed from James Edwards after 22 minutes.

The floodgates opened in the second half, with Chorleywood scoring six more times through Edwards, Nicholas Holden's brace, Roshan Patel, Christopher May and Andrew Chapman, while Jake Levy got the RD consolation.

Second Division leaders Tudor Athletic beat the side second from top in the division below them, Bushey Rangers, 3-1.

Tudor took the lead through Danny Regan; he then scored his second following a swift counter-attack.

Bushey pulled a goal back at the start of the second half through James Henney, but Jack Robertson sealed the win for Tudor, slotting home from close range.

Third Division leaders The Tree caused a minor shock as they knocked out Second Division strugglers Ripstone 2-1.

Matt Morris and Marc Brownsell scored for The Tree, with Matt Elgey replying.

Ken Simmons Memorial Cup Preliminary Round

The competition for those sides that lost in the first round of the Challenge Cup got underway with a single tie as Chess United’s improved season continued with a 4-1 away win over Sun Postal Sports.

Matt Hargreaves, Dana Anderson, Nelson Pequeno and Craig Putman were on target for the victors, while Bobby Cooper netted for Sun.

Premier Division

Old Danes have a second league win of the season and completed the double over Rickmansworth Town with a 6-1 victory.

Rickmansworth only could field 10 men but they had the better of the play until Lewis Chappell opened the scoring after 15 minutes for Old Danes from the penalty spot after he had been tripped in the box.

Tom Coles then scored a hat-trick either side of half-time as Rickmansworth, who never gave up, kept attacking but were caught on the counter-attack as Josh Burks netted twice in a five-minute spell.

George Nanson scored a deserved goal for the home side five minutes from time.

Division One

Bushey Sports Club beat North Watford 5-3 to establish a four-point lead the top of the table.

They had to do it the hard way, coming back from a goal down after Olando Meredith struck from long range.

Rob Gradwell was the star performer for Bushey, scoring a hat-trick, with Dale Jenkins and Neil Bernstein netting one apiece.

Aamer Khan and Shoaib Ali pulled two goals back late on for North Watford.

Compasses North are in second after they beat 10-man FC Unicorn 6-3.

Tommy Twelves led the way with a treble and Mick Twelves, Dan Christopher and Mark O'Connor were also on target. Two-goal Danny Warwick and Luke Peerless responded with the Unicorn goals.

Colne Valley, who had a slow start to the season, are up into fourth place after a 4-0 win over Croxley.

Valley took the lead from Chris Blunden's low drive after 15 minutes and Krasi Makaveev doubled the advantage 10 minutes later.

Despite Croxley playing better down the hill, Valley killed the game off with a swift counter attack that saw Dave Rooney strike from close range 15 minutes from time before Blunden completed his brace five minutes later to complete the scoring.

The Cassiobury Rangers versus Langleybury CC game was abandoned after 54 minutes with Rangers leading 3-0 due to a serious injury to a Langleybury player.

Division Two

Goals from Ross McGuire and Matt Johnson-Lecky saw Rickmansworth Athletic come from 2-0 down to take point from their game with Oxhey Rangers; Jack Walsh and Steve Bunting have given Oxhey their advantage.

Woodlands United beat Bedmond 4-2 thanks to goals from Klevis Dervishi, Ricky Fletcher, Craig Hepworth and Liam Laverick. Harvey Dorboize and Jamie McGarth replied.

The game between Ardent and FC Woodside ended in a goalless draw.

Division Three

Revolution beat Hertfordshire Lions 4-3 as Paul Coleman scored two and Ollie Donohoe and Kyle Maundrell one each. Dennis Fraser, John Battams and Louis McNamara were on target for Lions.

Bricketwood Social have a second league win of the season after a 5-0 home triumph over Hertsmere, who remain rooted to the bottom of the table after they were downed by Tom Minton’s treble and singles from Matt McManus and Chris Cummins.

AC Little Silhouette of Milan beat Inter 4-1; Joe Hitchins, Calvin Monaghan, David Donnelly and Thomas Pegrum scoring for AC with Ryan Rodeling netting for Inter.

Division Four

NW turned the league table on its head as they beat leaders South Oxhey 4-0.

NW, who started the morning bottom of the table, were helped by their opponents only turning up with 10 players, which then became nine due to an injury just before half-time when they were a goal behind.

The victors added three goals late in the second half, with Jordan Sterling, Hamid Ali, Shakeb Ali and Daniel Flanagan scoring.

AFC Batchworth are the in-form side in the division and they took the three points, six goals and bragging rights from their derby with Batchworth.

Luke Jerome with a double, and a goal each from Joe Brown, Shaun Wheeler, Alan Palmer and Korby Bryan secured the emphatic victory.

Second-placed Oxhey Athletic beat Railway Arms 2-1 through goals from Lewis Shaw and Tyrone Sealey. Scott Seamans got Railway’s reply.