A severely depleted Bovingdon strengthened their grip on the Herts Senior County League summit by ending Belstone’s unbeaten start to their Premier Division season on a Saturday with a 2-0 victory.

With 10 players unavailable for the trip to Radlett, boss Lee Bircham admitted he was hoping the game would be postponed. But he was to praise a “magnificent” performance as goals from the in-form Courtney Massay and Lewis Foster’s first for the Green Lane club kept them four points clear of Letchworth Garden City Eagles with a game in hand.

Bircham admitted: “If I’m honest, after seeing the amount of quality I had out either suspended, injured and away, I was desperate for snow on the Friday night and Saturday morning. But as it turns out we are delighted the game went ahead.

“The boys were all magnificent. At least three were making their debuts but dug in as if they had been playing all season.

“We will enjoy this week but fully aware in this league that all that hard work can be undone on Saturday if we don’t prepare correctly.”

Having started well, Bovingdon took the lead midway through the first half when the returning Connor Deadman’s cross-field pass found skipper Matt Standen and he played in a fine cross for Massay to finish impressively on the volley, scoring his seventh goal in eight outings since joining from AFC Dunstable.

The visitors then held firm as Belstone sought to get back on terms, but with 20 minutes to go Deadman almost added a second when his effort hit the inside of the post.

Bircham’s side then needed keeper Tom Blackman to pull off a fine save to keep his side in front when he tipped a cross onto the post and smothered the rebound.

But Bovingdon did make the game safe in the second minute of injury time when Massay picked up a loose pass and ran at the defence before squaring for Foster to score his first for the club.

Letchworth had ensured the gap remained at four points with a narrow 1-0 win at Bushey Sports Club.

Third-from-bottom Chipperfield Corinthians picked up a point following a 2-2 draw at Knebworth, but fellow strugglers Evergreen were thrashed 7-2 at Cuffley. Hamze Ali and Mark Hansard scored for the heavily beaten visitors.

No sides from the Watford area were in action in Division One – Sun Sports Reserves’ home game with Wodson Park Reserves was called off – but in Reserve & Development 2 Old Parmiterians moved up to top spot after defeating Harpenden Rovers 4-1.

Chipperfield Corinthians Reserves saw off village neighbours Sarratt Reserves 4-0, while an Ian Holdom brace and John Danslow’s goal saw Oxhey Jets Vets into a 3-1 half-time lead away at Hatfield Town Reserves, but the hosts fought back to win 5-3 in their Greg Cup clash.