Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup Round Four

North Watford edged out fellow Division One side Compasses North 2-1 after extra-time to set up a mouth-watering tie against Evergreen for a place in the semi-finals on February 4.

Compasses North went into the game as the clear favourites, but it was their opponents who turned the form book on its head with their best performance of the season so far.

North Watford took an early lead when Usman Ali put Shoaib Ali through on goal and he made no mistake. But Compasses North levelled just before half-time when former North Watford player Tommy Twelves scored with a well-taken effort.

Neither side was able to find the net again in the second half, but it was North Watford who booked their quarter-final place when in the second period of the extra 30 minutes, Shoaib Ali scored his second of the game when he intercepted a throw-in, rounded three defenders before slotting home for a fine solo winning goal.

Second Division Tudor Athletic made it three teams from the league in the last eight after a long trip to Harlow was rewarded with a 3-2 victory over Old Pond Athletic.

Mark Varcoe gave Tudor a dream start after just two minutes with a 25-yard effort, and just before the break Jack Robertson doubled the lead with a well-taken quick free-kick.

The second half was mostly all one-way traffic towards the Tudor goal, and the home side pulled themselves level with two goals in quick succession as the game entered the final 20 minutes.

But despite being on the back foot of most of the second period it was Tudor who scored the winner with time running out when James Hocking headed home a Danny Regan corner.

There was still time for both sides to be reduced to ten men each, but it was not enough to prevent Tudor reaching the last eight where they now face another away tie against the winners of the outstanding Potten End versus Apollo game.

Herts Sunday Junior Cup Round Four

Garston Athletic went down to a single-goal defeat to Berkhamsted Athletic.

Berkhamsted now meet the winners of the Bushey Rangers versus AFC Batchworth tie for a semi-final place, which was postponed for second time on Sunday.

Ken Simmons Memorial Cup Round One

There were plenty of goals as the five ties played produced a total of 20, as well as two penalty shootouts, and two big upsets as well.

Batchworth have had a poor league season to date, sitting at the bottom of the Fourth Division table, but they turned the form book on its head to beat divisional leaders South Oxhey by the odd goal in nine.

Jake Mole’s brace and a goal each for Jamie Moran and Jordan Aston-Woods were not enough to prevent a Batchworth win as Charlie Kimpton completed his hat-trick with the winner in the last minute. Kai Wiggins and Michael Bright were also on target for the victors.

Fellow Fourth Division side NW FC also produced an upset, knocking out Third Division AC Little Silhouette of Milan 6-5 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Daniel Flanagan gave NW the lead in the first half, an advantage they held onto until the second period when a penalty from Calvin Monaghan and a well-taken goal from Scott Monaghan looked to turned the game in their side’s favour. But with five minutes left Nathan Jeffs equalised with a free-kick.

Neither side could break the deadlock in the extra 20 minutes, but it was the lower ranked side who won the penalty shootout 6-5 in sudden death.

The all-Third Division game between Hertfordshire Lions and Bricketwood Social also ended 2-2 after extra-time; an own goal and a goal from Andrew Ryder for Lions with Tom Minton scoring twice for the visitors. It was Lions who won the shootout 4-2.

Oxhey Rangers needed extra-time to beat Woodlands United 3-1 in the battle of the bottom sides in Division Two.

Ade Akiedine’s brace and one for Ryan Walsh were enough for Rangers, with Ricky Fletcher scoring the Woodland goal.

The other all-Fourth Division tie between Chess United and Railway Arms was decided by a single Joe Perrin goal in Arms’ favour.

Terry Devereux President’s Cup Round Two

Premier Division Rickmansworth Town completed the line-up for the quarter-finals after a 4-2 away win over Bushey Sports Club.

Hassan Zeizale and Costas Harris scored for Bushey, but H. Wallace’s brace and one each for H. Devall and D. Mallett were enough to send Rickmansworth through.

Premier Division

Reed Rangers moved up into second place above opponents St Josephs after a 2-1 win.

Nathan Singh and Karl Penny got the Reed goals, while Anton Collins netted for their opponents.

The derby between Chorleywood Club and Old Danes Athletic ended in a 3-3 draw.

Josh Burks scored twice in the first half to give Old Danes a two-goal half-time lead. But it was a different story after the break as Chorleywood pulled themselves level with goals from Ryan McMahon seven minutes into the half, and James Edwards with the equaliser five minutes later.

The scoring was not finished though, as Burks restored the Old Danes advantage within two minutes, but Edwards then scored his second of the game six minutes later to ensure that the points were shared.

Division One

Croxley edged out Langleybury CC 5-4, a win which has moved them off the bottom of the table and up to seventh.

It was the proverbial game of two halves, after Croxley had a four-goal lead at the break thanks to a hat-trick from Carl Pettitt and one from Thomas Hughes.

Chris Monasteries added a fifth at the start of the second period, only for this goal to spark an unlikely comeback from the visitors who scored four times through Colin Wilson, Dan Chitty, Dan Byron and Greg Cook. And they could have snatched a draw but missed a good chance late on.

Evergreen’s unbeaten run continues after a 3-0 win over Colne Valley, the only team so far this season to take a point off them.

The game was effectively won with two goals in a three-minute spell midway through the first half thanks to an Ollie Cripps penalty and a well-taken shot from inside the area, after Valley failed to clear the ball.

Valley had the better of the second period, but were never able to break down the well-organised Evergreen defence which was excellently marshalled by Ant Bevenga.

Six minutes from time, with Valley pushing forward, they were caught by a swift counter-attack which allowed Ben Adams to seal the win with a fine solo effort.

FC Unicorn have a third win of the season following a 4-2 victory over Cassiobury Rangers, who slipped to the bottom of the table after the defeat.

Cassiobury took the lead early in the opening half through a Mark Riddick header following a Sam Mortimer corner, but Unicorn replied with goals from Dan Conroy and Louis Soper.

Joe Mortimer equalised but Unicorn wrapped up the points thanks to goals from Sheldon Berkeley and Sam Allen.

Division Two

With Tudor Athletic in County Cup action, FC Woodside opened up a five-point advantage at the summit of the table after a straightforward 5-0 away win over Rickmansworth Athletic through Michael Griffin’s two goals and one each from Drew Snailham, Joe Fox and Joe Dettmer.

The other game played between mid-table teams Ripstone and AFC Green Machine ended in a 2-2 draw.

Lee Culverhouse and James Brall scored the Ripstone goals and Josh Burtt and Danny Roberts replied for the visitors.

Division Three

A single goal from Adam Cadmore was enough for leaders The Tree to beat fourth-placed P&P Social 1-0 and open up an eight-point lead over second-placed Bushey Rangers, who do have two games in hand.

Sun Regent Sports are in third place after an emphatic 8-1 win over Inter.

Ben Dunton notched a hat-trick, Dave Flannery a brace, and there was a goal each for Aarron Crawford, Junior Bullen and Callum Hearn. Kyle Owen got the Inter consolation.

Hertsmere have a first league win of the season, 4-3 over Revolution, which was enough to move above Inter and off the bottom of the table.

John James was the star man for Hertsmere, scoring a hat-trick, with Carl Beaumont netting the other goal. Revolution replied through two-goal Will Keddy and Harry Tomei.

Division Four

Everett Rovers made it five wins out of five, although they are in fourth place in the table, with a 9-0 victory over Oxhey Athletic.

Mark Hansard scored the first of four goals at which point Oxhey had a player sent off for a bad tackle. Everett took full advantage of the extra man and Harry Gilbert added a fifth before half-time.

Gary Wicks then opened his goal account with a back-heel flick early in the second half. Another goal from Hansard, to take his tally to five, and a second from both Gilbert and Wicks sealed the win.