Kings Langley’s bid to reach the final of the Herts Senior Cup fell short on Monday, but they left the ground of National League opponents Boreham Wood with heads held high following a 2-0 defeat.

Steve Conroy’s side matched their hosts in all areas bar finishing as goals from on-loan Watford striker Michael Folivi and Morgan Ferrier sent Luke Garrard’s men into the final.

Wood were the highest level of opposition the village side had ever faced in competitive football, but the clubs had last met in September 1966 in the Amateur Cup when Kings followed up a 5-5 away draw with a 7-1 victory in the replay.

With Stevie Ward unavailable through illness, Conroy brought back Josh Coldicott-Stevens, while the Wood fielded eight of the players involved in their previous league game.

The near perfect playing surface suited Kings’ game and they were the first to show when keeper Grant Smith almost dropped the ball at the feet of Gareth Price.

The striker did have the ball in the net minutes later from a Matt Ball pass, but was ruled offside, while Wood’s new record signing, England C international Ferrier, directed his header straight to Martin Bennett.

However, when a rare error in the Langley defence gave Folivi the chance to shoot on sight, the keeper reacted well to tip it around the post.

The visitors were enjoying equal possession, with a Kieran Turner shot well blocked. But as half-time approached, all their good work was undone when a retreating defence gave Folivi the time to run at them and unleash a fierce shot into the net.

Stung into retaliation, they came close in the last minute of the half from a Ball free-kick, but Jorell Johnson’s header was over.

The second period opened with Smith again less than certain in his handling of a Turner corner, but both Price and Turner were unable to capitalise in the face of a determined defence.

However, Wood were able to do so from a corner on the hour when the ball was headed back and off the head of Ferrier into the net, leaving Kings facing the exit door.

Despite this, Langley continued to play flowing football, seeing a Ball rocket well saved and Smith pull off an acrobatic tip round from an impressive turn and volley from Price, denying the visitors the consolation they probably deserved.

Kings Langley: Bennett; Fraser, Connolly, Johnson, Adebiyi; Coldicott-Stevens (Weiss 73), Ball, Godfrey; Jung (Femiola 90), Price, Turner. Subs not used: King, Gosling, Minchev.