A Kieran Turner goal 10 minutes from the end of normal time was enough to give Kings Langley a hard-fought 1-0 win over Hertfordshire rivals Royston Town at Gaywood Park last night.

Claudio Ofosu, an exciting Stevenage Youth forward was signed on loan hours before the deadline and joined his colleague Macsen Fraser in the starting line-up as Kings looked to bounce back from their disappointing 2-0 reverse against Slough Town three days earlier.

The youngster made his presence felt inside five minutes, intercepting a clearance and driving forward to shoot just wide.

The Crows responded when Kings similarly lost possession, but were saved by the offside flag as the resultant move played out.

Although the wind was to abate as the opening half progressed, both sides spurned the tactic of keeping the ball on the ground, resulting in periods of waiting for its safe return to earth. Gradually the penny dropped though, and the entertainment value increased, although both defences looked in command.

With Royston having a slight edge, Jorell Johnson and Gary Connolly were outstanding; one particular acrobatic clearance on the line by the former saving what looked to be a certain goal.

Fraser and Callum Adebiyi were strong in the full-back positions, always ready to start up attacks down the wings and the former’s long throw was proving the kind of weapon that bedevilled Kings on Saturday.

Martin Bennett looked confident behind his backline, dealing well with everything thrown at him and the interval arrived without the scoreboard being troubled.

The second half remained lean on chances, although a Matt Ball inswinging corner saw Mitchell Weiss’ shot well blocked, Johnson was just wide from an Arjun Jung free-kick and an Adam Murray long shot was just over for the visitors.

Elliott Godfrey was a steadying influence in the middle of the park and Ofosu and Turner were willing wing outlets, but Weiss was having his work cut out against an equally solid Crows defence and deadlock looked the increasingly likely outcome.

However, Ball orchestrated a move from left midfield in his own half with a ball down the wing to Weiss and the striker took it to the byline and got his cross in while under close attention. The centre took a deflection, wrong-footing keeper Josh Tibbetts and Turner met a waist high ball with both feet off the ground, to drive it home to scenes of delight from the home fans behind the goal.

Rohdell Gordon was just over as Town tried to come back, Turner went for his second goal but was foiled by Tibbetts and the referee found five minutes of extra time, but Kings held firm to claim a welcome and well deserved three points.

Kings Langley: Bennett; Fraser, Connolly, Johnson, Adebiyi; Jung (Colidoctt-Stevens 82), Godfrey; Osofu, Ball, Turner; Weiss. Subs not used: Hodgins, Gosling, Karagozlu.