Kings Langley should consider adopting the theme from The Great Escape as their anthem after scoring in stoppage time for the fourth time in nine matches, three of which have salvaged a point from the jaws of defeat.

It was Banbury United’s turn to be on the receiving end on Saturday as a Jorell Johnson header secured a 1-1 draw that was no more than the visitors deserved at the end of an intriguing encounter.

With Kings fielding an unchanged line-up, the match opened cagily as the two teams tested each other out beneath a clear blue sky tempered with cold winds.

Martin Bennett was first goalkeeper called into action with a superb starfish block from a point-blank Ricky Johnson header. But Steve Conroy’s men began to find their rhythm and good inter-play saw Mitchell Weiss slip the ball through to Kieran Turner, whose shot was tipped around the post by debutant Martin Herdman.

Kings then forced four consecutive corners, the third of which resulted in Herdman repeating the save, this time from Weiss.

The visitors continued to impress with their incisive one-touch passing and as the break approached, they went close again as Turner put the ball just over from a Claudio Ofosu-Weiss-Matt Ball move.

The last action of the half was a Tom Winters shot from the hosts that shaved the upright and was to set the tone for the opening 10 minutes of the next period, as the Puritans introduced Leam Howards, whose first touch was a one-on-one with Bennett.

The keeper blocked the shot bravely and Macsen Fraser scrambled the rebound to safety, but the imposing figure of Luke Carnell, up for corners, was unsettling the otherwise tight defence and Kings were fortunate to escape when his header was headed off the line and onto the underside of the bar by Arjun Jung before being cleared.

The visitors rode the period of pressure and responded with Weiss curling a shot just wide, lose a one-on-one with Herdman and then see his header hit the post.

But Banbury were to strike with 10 minutes to go when a Charlie Hawtin shot hit the woodwork and as Elliot Sandy went for the rebound, he was felled by Fraser. Sandy then despatched the spot kick to put United in the driving seat.

It looked harsh on Kings and five minutes later, when Hawtin suffered an injury that was to see him helped off, the visitors’ protests about the length of the delay earned a card for Weiss.

Stevie Ward and Nikolay Minchev had been introduced after the penalty, but Kings seemed to be making little headway until the penultimate minute of four added, when Ward’s central run and forward chip saw Johnson throw himself in front of a defender and arc his header into the top corner of the net to reward another never-say-die performance with a more than deserved point.

Kings Langley: Bennett; Fraser, Connolly, Johnson, Adebiyi; Jung (Minchev 80), Godfrey; Ofosu (Ward 80), Ball, Turner; Weiss. Subs not used: Coldicott-Stevens, Femiola.