A powerful first-half performance saw Kings Langley reach the second qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 victory over Northwood to end their recent scoring drought and avenge a reverse in the competition at the hands of the same opponents four years previously.

Following Saturday’s entertaining goalless draw, Steve Conroy’s side raced out of the blocks in last night's replay and were three goals to the good inside the opening half-an-hour as they set up a home date against Farnborough Town or Lewes on Saturday, September 22.

Constant rain began two hours before kick-off and certainly affected the attendance of 230 at Gaywood Park, but the conditions did little to dampen Kings’ determination to attack from the start and they made the all-important breakthrough with five minutes on the clock.

A left-wing run by Callum Adebiyi was halted by a clumsy challenge and the resultant free-kick into the box by Dean Hitchcock saw a glancing header by Mitchell Weiss arrow into the right-hand corner of the net, much to the delight of the young home fans behind the goal.

Northwood’s response was immediate with Martin Bennett tipping a raking cross-come-shot over the bar and Sam Jenkins firing high.

But the home side were making light of the conditions and doubled their advantage midway through the opening half when another questioning Hitchcock cross, this time from a corner, fell to Rene Howe. His powerful shot was blocked almost on the line and Max Ryan scythed through the defence to convert from close range.

Wood were still reeling from that blow when Howe, who along with the equally experienced Elliott Godfrey and young Josh Coldicott-Stevens seemed to be involved in everything, sent Lee Stobbs away on his way down the right wing. His cross had plenty of height and at first appeared over-hit, but in fact it was perfectly placed to find the head of Weiss and his looping but powerful header found the same part of the net as before.

The visitors avoided further damage until half-time, but boss Dean Barker’s words had the desired effect as they’d reduced the deficit within four minutes of the restart with Miguel de Lopes Matos cutting inside from the left to register a good individual goal.

As in the first game, they found the woodwork again, Matt Cooper was just wide with a shot and their scorer came close to repeating the goal. But any hopes of a comeback were effectively dampened and finally extinguished by an impressive all-round team performance from Kings, particularly the back four, with Ryan already looking an integral part alongside Jorell Johnson, Gary Connolly and Adebiyi.

Weiss came close to a hat-trick with another header and was denied by a brave save from Luke Sheldrick, while substitute Edu Toiny-Pendred produced a spectacular turn and shot that was well held by the keeper.

For Kings though, this was a vital result to dispel previous set-backs and install belief that better times lie ahead.

Kings Langley: Bennett; Connolly, Johnson, Ryan, Adebiyi; Stobbs (Ward 84), Hitchcock (Jung 87), Godfrey, Coldicott-Stevens; Howe (Toiny-Pendred 82), Weiss. Subs not used: Pobbe, Collier, Lamboh, Plowright.

Northwood: Sheldrick; Stevenson (Ferguson 28), Andreos, Pierce, Cooper; Jenkins, Gosling, Alfano (Shirley-Clarke 78), Lopes de Matos; Clarke (Pattie 58), Ewington. Subs not used: Chingoka, Massey, Nyariki, Worrell.