A dreadful second-half display saw Kings Langley slump to their lowest point of the season as they were thrashed 5-0 at Wimborne Town.

Returning to Southern League Premier Division South action after a two-week break, the visitors had the upper hand in the first half on Saturday but their failure to take the lead was to cost them, although the manner in which they fell apart after the break left their fans feeling badly let down.

Like previous opponents Swindon Supermarine, Town were below Kings in the table and looked to be of a similar standard and style.

The Langley front three looked lively from the outset.

Stevie Ward nipped in for a shot that keeper Gerard Benfield saved with his feet, while a Rene Howe back-heel gave Mitchell Weiss a chance that was also well saved.

A Weiss free-kick was held at the second attempt by Benfield, before Town had their first shot on 18 minutes, a Luke Holmes effort easily held by Charlie Burns.

As the half-hour passed, Kings mounted another onslaught, with a Josh Coldicott-Stevens diagonal cross-field pass giving Weiss a run at Benfield, but the keeper denied the striker, before pulling off two exceptional saves in as many minutes from Ward, one of which was a chip shot that the keeper had no right to reach.

But then a familiar lapse of concentration saw Town take the lead against the run of play on the stroke of half-time.

Franklyn Clarke had served warning with the home side’s first real threat minutes earlier, a long low shot just past the post, before a one-two suddenly exposed Kings and Luke Burbridge slipped the ball past Burns.

If Kings were stunned to be in such a position, they were comatose 10 minutes into the second period as Toby Holmes calmly ran through the centre to score with apparent ease.

Understandably, Town now looked a supremely confident side, far removed from their first-half guise, while Kings had gone from such a position to one of total ineptitude.

Burns pulled off a couple of good saves, but Town added a third through Holmes and a woeful defence capitulated to see the home side net two more in the last four minutes.

The final whistle was a relief to the travelling supporters, who would have every right to feel let down by a second half performance that easily qualifies as the worst of the season.