Watford FC Ladies’ Under-23s side triumphed over Stevenage Ladies 4-0 to claim the Hertfordshire Women’s Challenge Cup.

The Hornets have dominated the competition in the past, winning it five times between 2005 and 2010, and this year saw the trophy return to Watford after a dominant final display.

Two goals in the first-half from Sydney Hinchcliffe and Andie Dickens gave the Golden Girls a strong lead at the break before Anaisa Harney and Eshe Johnson completed the rout in the second to claim the silverware.

The Hornets’ starting lineup was a strong one, with more than half of the team appearing for the senior side this season, but with Stevenage playing at step four in the football pyramid, the game had the potential to be a difficult tie.

Nevertheless, Watford started the game promisingly and early opportunities for both Harney and Eshe Johnson showed that they were in the mood for the clash.

The scoring was opened just before the quarter of an hour mark. Stevenage had initially cleared the ball off the line, but it fell to Hinchcliffe and she made no mistake with her fierce shot that flew past goalkeeper Hannah Vandersluis.

Stevenage responded well as they launched their quest for an equaliser, but they soon found themselves two goals down when Dickens unleashed an effort from the edge of the area that nestled in the bottom of the corner for her 11th goal of the season.

The Golden Girls added a third midway through the second-half after a corner put into a dangerous position picked out Harney, who headed home the team’s third of the afternoon.

The victory was more or less confirmed in the 73rd minute when the Hornets mounted a rapid counter attack and Johnson slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Vandersluis kept out some late efforts on her goal and when Watford did manage to score for a fifth time through Linda Afuakwah, the flag was raised.

By then though the victory was already in the bag and the full-time whistle blew soon after, confirming the Golden Girls as Hertfordshire Women’s Cup champions, after a thoroughly impressive winning performance.

Meanwhile, the ladies' senior team fell to a 4-2 defeat at home to Oxford United Women.

The visitors took a two-goal lead into the break after goals came from Emily Allen and Gemma Sims.

Watford got back into it when Kat Huggins pulled one back early in the second half, but Lauren Haynes restored Oxford's two goal advantage.

An unfortunate own goal then made it four before Danielle Scanlon gave the Hornets another consolation.