Watford Under-23s strolled to a comfortable 5-0 victory at Vicarage Road against Hull City U23s on Monday afternoon.

First-half finishes from a trialist and Kane Crichlow had the Hornets in control at the break, before Marvin Zeegelaar and Joseph Hungbo further extended the advantage in the second-half and Crichlow's second rounded off the win with ten minutes to go.

Zeegelaar was named in the starting lineup, alongside fellow senior defender Sebastian Prodl as the first-teamers looked to build some match fitness.

The latter was nearly at fault for an early Hull goal, when he mistimed a clearance on the edge of the box, allowing Billy Chadwick a free shot on goal, but it was well beaten out by Adam Parkes.

Watford finally broke the deadlock after an extended spell of scrappy, midfield football when Crichlow weaved his way into the City box before laying the ball off to a trialist sporting the number seven shirt, who found the top corner with a precision strike. 

Just ten minutes later, Crichlow got a goal of his own following a slick passing move on the edge of the area. 

The ball was worked out to the left to Zeegelaar, whose cross rolled dangerously back across the six yard box where the Hornets' striker was loitering unmarked to find the top corner. 

Trialist almost added his second and Watford's third following a neat flowing move through the centre of the Hull defence. 

Crichlow was involved once again, as he slipped Sam Dalby through the middle. The number nine, played the ball out to the left to find the on-trial attacked, who cut inside and curled a shot beyond the far post.

The Hornets added goal number three after the break when Zeegelaar got forward to grab a goal for himself. The left-back had advanced forward and cut inside on the edge of the area before arcing a strike into the far corner.

It looked as if the home side had added a fourth on the hour mark, with the visitors looking a well-beaten outfit, when Dalby nodded in a corner kick, but the goal was ruled out for an alleged shove in the back of a defender.

However, they did not have to wait much longer for goal number four, as Hungbo found the net after he was played in by Dalby for a one-on-one during a swift counter-attack.

The rout was finally completed ten minutes before the end when Crichlow volleyed home Callum Whelan's corner to round off a positive afternoon at Vicarage Road.