Kings Langley proved Saturday’s FA Cup triumph over Folkestone Invicta was no flash in the pan as interim manager Ryan Jackett made it two wins out of two with a 3-1 Hertfordshire derby triumph over Hitchin Town last night.

With Harry Crawford in the mood to show his side what they’d been missing during his bench-warming start to the season, the hosts dominated a tetchy Southern League Premier Central encounter as they built on their 4-0 second qualifying round success at the weekend.

Jackett continued with his two-striker formation as Crawford partnered Mitchell Weiss up front, with Gary Connolly replacing the rested Lloyd Doyley the only change to the starting XI.

The home side asked the early questions as a Crawford shot was deflected over for a corner and Gary Connolly picked out Roddy Collins with a cross, only for his powerful shot to clear the bar by inches.

The pressure was increasing and it paid off on 17 minutes when Kane Farrell’s low cross found Weiss with his back to goal 10 yards out. The striker had the presence of mind to feint over the ball, leaving the well-placed Max Hercules to drive a shot into the net to make the breakthrough.

There was a different kind of drama as the half-hour mark approached with unfortunate referee Costa Constandinos pulling up and unable to continue. After a break approaching 10 minutes, assistant David Nicholson took his place and Kings’ 16-year-old webmaster Danny Knights was entrusted with the flag on the western touchline.

The break didn’t disrupt Langley though, and a fierce Crawford shot was blocked on the line by a defender’s body in a place that caused many a spectator to wince.

Eight minutes after entering the fray, the replacement referee was called upon to judge an aerial clash between Lewis Barker and Gary Connolly that left the latter prone and Nicholson had no hesitation in showing the Canary a straight red.

Kings delivered what they hoped was the killer blow eight minutes after the restart when a corner from Hercules was chipped back into the danger area by Callum Adebiyi, finding Crawford, who shifted position to find a way through a crowded box with a well-placed shot into the far corner.

However, Town had other ideas and the introduction of Charlie Thake was having a physical effect up front. His impressive shot led to a corner on the hour from which Melvin Minter was unable to gather a header and Joe Guage stabbed the loose ball home.

Kings were in no mood to surrender their advantage though, and Hitchin’s hopes of turning the contest around lasted only eight minutes before they put the result beyond doubt.

A flowing move saw Collins set Farrell away on the left, he performed a neat one-two with Hercules and delivered the perfect cross for Charlie Pattison’s glancing header to beat Horlock.

The victory moved Kings up to the 11th in the table ahead of Saturday’s home clash with fifth-placed Stourbridge.

Kings Langley: Minter; G Connolly, K Connolly, Adebiyi, Farrell; Pattison (Ward 75), Collins, Coldicott-Stevens, Hercules (McKeown 75); Crawford, Weiss (Campbell-Mhlope 75). Subs not used: Victor, Doyley.