Two goals in the first 10 minutes from Josh Chamberlain sent Berkhamsted on their way to a 3-1 win over Bedworth United on Saturday, with victory tightening their grip on second place in the BetVictor Southern League Central.

The Comrades were quick out of the blocks and gained the lead in the sixth minute when Lewis Toomey’s strike was only parried to Chamberlain who stroked home the rebound.

Moments later, the lead was doubled when Chamberlain was left unmarked in the box and he again finished calmly from six yards.

Bedworth did have chances to get themselves back into the game, but Alex Troke and Dan Preston both had efforts saved by Xavier Comas-Leon.

After the break, Jonathan Lacey threatened to extend Berkhamsted’s lead as his low drive struck the post. Lacey’s corner was then met by Ryan Kinnane but his powerful header was kept out by the chest of keeper Daniel Crane.

The home side finally put the game to bed with five minutes left to play when Lacey’s cross was volleyed in by Lewis Toomey for his 13th goal of the season.

Bedworth did manage to grab a consolation through a superb 25-yard strike by Luke Rowe, but it wasn’t enough as Berkhamsted came away with a deserved victory.

A much-changed Berkhamsted side were knocked out of the Herts Senior Cup after a 2-1 loss at Royston Town on Tuesday.

The Comrades had the better of the opening stages, with the in-form Toomey going close on a couple of occasions.

The visitors made their early pressure pay when Lee Stobbs’ shot deflected off a defender and past the Royston goalkeeper.

There was an instant response from the hosts, who levelled from the kick-off through Brandon Adams.

Royston should have gone in front when they were awarded a penalty just before the break, but Comas-Leon kept out Adams’ spot kick.

Berkhamsted laid siege to the opposition goal in the second half, with Max Farrelly hitting the crossbar and several goalmouth scrambles not falling their way.

As the game looked destined to be heading to penalties, the Comrades failed to clear a corner in stoppage time and Joseph Harold stabbed in the winner.

Dead-ball specialist Matthew Mitchell netted two first-half free kicks as Tring Athletic cemented top spot with a 4-1 win against Broadfields United in the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.

Mitchell’s first goal came in the fifth minute after his free-kick was whipped over the wall and into the top corner.

Shortly after, Mitchell was again in the thick of the action when his left-footed effort from inside the box struck the inside of the post and rolled away to safety.

Five minutes before the break, Mitchell lined up another free-kick in an almost identical position to his first. This time, he drilled it to the goalkeeper’s side and found the far corner.

There was no let-up from Tring in the second half as they grabbed their third goal through forward Oran Swales’ well-taken effort.

Broadfields didn’t give up and notched a goal of their own with 20 minutes left after a neat finish from Radu Stefanoaica.

Shortly before the final whistle, Swales got his second of the afternoon with a left-footed drive from the edge of the area.

Athletic were also scheduled to be in action on Tuesday against title challengers Newport Pagnell Town, however floodlight failure caused the match to be abandoned with just five minutes played.

Leverstock Green’s South Midlands Premier Division clash with Aylesbury Dynamos was postponed due to the weather on Saturday, but they did advance through to the last eight of the Premier Division Cup with a 3-1 home win over Dunstable Town on Tuesday.

Goals from Adiel Mannion, Jamie Ovington and Frankie Jowle sealed the win for Green, with Luke Little getting Town's consolation.

Bovingdon were knocked out of the Herts Centenary Trophy at the second round stage after being beaten 3-1 at London Lions.

Following an even first half, Lions struck three goals after the break from Lee Goldberg (2) and Nicholas Landesberg.

The Greens did manage a consolation late on courtesy of George Loosely.

Berkhamsted Raiders advanced into the third round of the Herts Centenary Trophy with a narrow 3-2 win over Letchworth Garden City Eagles.

Aiden Collins, Jack Samuel and Ben Wooton were on the scoresheet for Raiders.

The Herts Centenary Trophy tie between Sarratt and Belstone was postponed due to the weather.