Kings Langley’s fine form gained recognition after they continued their unbeaten 2020 with a 2-1 home win over Biggleswade Town.

Goals from Kyle Connolly and Jordan Parkes ensured Chris Cummins’ side made it seven league games without defeat this year, a run of results that has been rewarded with the divisional Team of the Month award for January.

Kings are still in mid-table following the victory but Tuesday’s win has reduced the gap to the play-off places to eight points, they have a game in hand on some of the teams above them and are now preparing for Saturday’s trip to a Hednesford Town side one point and one place higher in 11th.

Langley’s seventh consecutive home game in all competitions started at pace and it was the Waders who made the early running, forcing a series of three corners in quick succession.

Neither side was given time or space to settle on the ball, but in the 18th minute former Kings playmaker Matt Ball opened the scoring with a stunning strike from outside the box that Melvin Minter did well to get his fingertips to, but could not keep out.

The Kings reply was immediate as from the kick-off, Parkes played in Will Hoskins, his shot took a deflection which Richard Walton adjusted to parry onto the post and Connolly followed in from the left to fire an angled shot into the far corner.

The contest resumed at a competitive pace that took on an edge as some players demanded retribution for some challenges from the referee, who duly obliged with two home players booked before the break and a further one immediately after.

The half had closed with a Parkes 45-yarder just over and following the resumption, the home side survived a looping loose ball from a corner that was scrambled away.

A Mitchell Weiss cross resulted in Stevie Ward’s volley hitting a defender on the line, countered by a Jon Edwards cross to Dylan Williams which saw the latter stumble when well placed.

The card count was resumed in earnest on the hour with three visiting and one home player booked for various offences in a mere five-minute spell that did not reflect the nature of the contest, which was very similar to the previous game in which no players were cautioned.

It was therefore somewhat inevitable that someone would pick up a second booking and when Corey Panter halted Ward’s wing run, the defender departed from the action.

Almost immediately, Connolly was fouled slightly left of centre and Parkes stepped up to superbly bend a free-kick from all of 30 yards past the despairing Walton.

The Waders battled to the end, but Kings managed out the game comfortably and could have extended the lead when Jorell Johnson broke through the middle, squared to Harry Crawford and Walton pulled off a good save for a corner.

The keeper was in action again to deny Edu Toiny-Pendred in time added on when the young substitute burst clear, but the final whistle signalled a continuation of a fine run and a third win in the last four league outings.

Kings Langley: Minter; Anderson, Johnson, Adebiyi, K Connolly; Hitchcock (Toiny-Pendred 84); Collins, Crawford; Weiss (Linsell 68), Hoskins (Ward 46), Parkes. Subs not used: Studley, Williams.