For the third successive match between Kings Langley and Peterborough Sports honours finished even, as the sides played out a 1-1 draw.

In truth the match was not a classic but what it lacked in quality it made up for in endeavour as the two teams battled throughout like two prize fighters trading blow for blow at a relentless pace.

Jordan Parkes rescued the point for Kings from the penalty spot after Josh Moreman’s strike had put the home side ahead.

It was Langley who created the first opportunity, as Parkes, restored to the starting line-up, exchanged a quick one-two with Harry Crawford before rifling a low drive just past the post.

Sports responded immediately with the lively Dion Sembie-Ferris threatening to break clear of the Kings’ defence until thwarted unceremoniously by Gary Connolly, an intervention that earned the Langley stalwart a caution. From the resultant free kick Alex Tokarczyk brilliantly tipped Hilliard’s rasping shot round the post. Alas, that was only a temporary reprieve as another piercing foray by Sembie-Ferris drew the defence and allowed the speedy forward to set up Moreman, who fired low into the bottom corner to put the hosts ahead. Inspired by the breakthrough, Sports poured forward to increase their advantage only to be nearly undone by a swift counter involving another Crawford, Parkes combination which saw the midfield maestro denied by a desperate tackle as he was poised to strike.

Shortly after Kings were forced into a reshuffle when defensive kingpin Jorell Johnson suffered a groin strain and was replaced by Dean Hitchcock with Gary Connolly reverting to centre back. The change heralded a period of sustained pressure which first saw a ferocious Crawford drive parried by home custodian, Lewis Elsom with the onrushing Brad Wadkins only just failing to convert the rebound. However, after thirty two minutes, Wadkins, who proved to be a handful for the home defence all evening, was again involved, this time with more tangible results, as he was bowled over as he barrelled in on goal to earn a clear penalty. Parkes duly converted with his customary aplomb to leave the scores level after a frenetic first half.

The high tempo of the opening period was never going to be maintained, as both teams battled for supremacy in midfield where Kings’ captain Roddy Collins worked tirelessly for the cause. As the half progressed a succession of free kicks and corners for the home side severely tested Kings’ defensive resolve and Tokarczyk had to again be at his best to keep out a downward header from Jones as the pressure mounted.

Kings introduced both Edu and Saul Williams to show their own attacking intent but despite some promising opportunities at both ends the teams had to again settle for a share of the spoils. It was a well-earned point on the road for Kings, with the only blight on a wholehearted performance being the last minute dismissal of full back Lloyd Doyley for a second bookable offence, the first red card in the evergreen defender’s illustrious career that has seen him amass over 500 appearances in the professional ranks.