Eric Hand Challenge Cup Round One

First Division Cassiobury Rangers caused a major upset with a 1-0 extra-time win over Watford Sunday League Premier Division title contenders Evergreen.

The underdogs were the team in control for the majority of the game, but chances were at a premium for both sides.

Evergreen will rue an open goal missed in the second half, whilst Rangers had a couple of chances that went begging as the tie ended goalless after 90 minutes.

With the game in the second period of extra-time and heading towards a penalty shoot-out, Cassiobury got the decisive breakthrough when a Sam Parker cross was taken down expertly by Taylor Osunsedo, whose touch took him past a defender and he was brought down by the Evergreen goalkeeper. The resulting penalty was slotted into the bottom corner by Joe Mortimer.

The final minutes saw the Cassiobury defence resist a period of desperate Evergreen pressure and hold on for the victory.

Watford Observer:

The Evergreen keeper is beaten by Joe Mortimer's late penalty

Old Fullerians were the other Premier Division side to be knocked out by lower ranked opposition as they suffered a 5-4 home defeat to Second Division Dome Bar, this after losing a 4-2 lead in the final minutes.

Fullerians went ahead mid-way through the first half courtesy of a strike from Craig Totton, but Bar levelled towards the end of the opening period when Scott Kilbane pounced on a short back pass to round the keeper and score.

Fullerians had a dream start to the second half, scoring two quick-fire goals.

The first came when a ball from Thomas Guichemerre found Charlie Hailey, who rounded two defenders before finishing, and he then doubled his tally with a finish at the back post from a Totton cross.

Dome Bar pulled a goal back through Adam Hartland from a corner, but Hailey then won and scored a penalty to complete his hat-trick.

With time running out though, Bar rallied and scored twice in the final five minutes through Adam Finn and Sean McDonagh.

The comeback was completed in the second half of extra-time when Matt Byrne scored the winner.

Watford Observer:

Penalty area action from Cassiobury Rangers' victory over Evergreen

Two other Second Division sides also made it through, Chess United and West Herts by defeating First Division opponents AFC Bedmond and Langleybury CC 3-2 and 5-2 respectively.

Chess went ahead in their tie when Conor Graham scored at the back post from a corner.

Bedmond equalised soon after when Sam Hakner found the top corner of the net with a long-range free-kick, and then made it 2-1 when Adam Gallichan headed home a Maz Urgo cross following some good work from Jack Pratchett.

Chess fought back in the second half though, equalising through Alex Halls before Ben Bugeja struck the winner with just five minutes left.

West Herts knocked out a Langleybury CC side who had been in good form in the league coming into Sunday's game.

A poor first half cost the home team, although they did improve in the second period as Robin Weller and Josh Connolly-Griffin scored.

Paul Craig struck a hat-trick for West Herts, with Callum Hearn and Ryan Legge also on target.

The tie between the top two in the Premier Division, Sun Postal Athletic and Oakview, saw the latter win 3-1.

Sun had the perfect start when Tom Inch tapped in from close range after only just two minutes.

Both teams struggled to get hold of the game on a rain-affected pitch, but Oakview levelled after 20 minutes when John McGeachy headed in from a corner.

Oakview went ahead in the second half lead when Lewis Putman scored from a free-kick.

The win was sealed when Putman turned provider, setting up Luke Lloyd to score late on.

The two other all top-flight ties saw wins for Chorleywood Club and FC Unicorn.

Chorleywood needed extra-time to beat St Joseph’s 4-1.

They went ahead lead after just 11 minutes through Tom Shaw, but their opponents equalised before half-time thanks to a well-struck effort from Alex Ward.

After no further goals in normal time, Chorleywood struck in the first minute of the extra 30 through Prince Nimoh.

Chorleywood then further capitalised in the second period as their opponents committed more players forward, scoring twice on the counter-attack through Tom Shaw and Michael East.

FC Unicorn defeated Fox & Stone 4-3 thanks to a Jack Read brace and single strikes from Callum O’Connor and Sheldon Berkeley.

Bradley Thompson, Dan Burton, Jude Bell got the Fox goals.

The only all-First Division tie saw Oxhey Spartans beat Maple Cross 4-0.

Liam Coles crossed for George Dalling to tap home the opener, with the second coming before the break when Coles found the bottom corner.

Coles went close on two occasions after the interval before scoring his second and Oxhey’s third of the game when he rounded the keeper and fired home from close range.

Jay Jarvis wrapped up the win for the Spartans with a strike from the edge of the area.

The other First Division side through are Bushey Rangers who defeated Second Division SOCA 4-1.

Bushey missed a first-half penalty before their opponents went ahead just before half-time when Connor Maher scored following a corner.

Bushey equalised five minutes into the second half when Jack Ellicott turned home a loose ball and then got their noses in front 15 minutes later when Scott Pugsley hammered home from the edge of the 18-yard box.

Bushey sealed the win with two goals in the final five minutes, first they were awarded a second penalty of the game, this time dispatched by Matt Goodman. Then two minutes later Chris Dowling turned home a rebound for the final goal.

The remaining tie saw Second Division FC Woodside beat Third Division Sparta Phoenix 3-1.

Drew Snailham, Dale Dresh and Harry Beaumont scored for the home side, with Nelson Gomes replying.

Denis Jackson Intermediate Cup Round One

WD beat Skyline 3-0 on the back of a strong defensive performance, with Callum Wilson, Ben Dunton and Hamze Ali all on target.

Chalfont Saints just edged past Woodside Wanderers 3-2 thanks to goals from Niall O'Shea, Joe Morahan and Tom Mack.

Rafael Jnr Martins and George Wood replied for the visitors.

Division One

Railway Arms held leaders North Watford to a second 1-1 draw in three weeks, but only after snatching a point at the death.

It looked like North Watford would suffer a first defeat of the season when Paul Kenwright scored late on, but deep into added-on time they were awarded a penalty and Conor Flanagan calmly slotted home the spot kick.

Division Two

St Marys Harefield moved up into second place in the table with 6-1 win over ACS Milan who have lost all their opening seven games.

Karl Swan struck a brace, with Charlie Malin, Luke Bentley, Craig Johnson and Harry Fullbrook also scoring. Ryan Fallon notched the Milan consolation.

Division Three

Hertfordshire Eagles opened up a four-point lead at the top of the table with a 3-1 win over South Herts, the only side so far to take points off them with a 1-1 draw back in September.

Charlie Kimpton took his tally for the season so far to nine, with Evan King and Ed Rogers also on target for Eagles. David Serinoli scored the South Herts goal.

It was a good morning for the bottom two sides in the table, King George and Frances George.

King George secured their first win of the season with a 4-2 win victory third-placed Watford Athletic.

Darren Obrien, Aaron Crawford, Dave Coyde, and Phil Molloy were all on target, with Tom Coleman and Bradley Lodge replying.

Frances George held Watford Sports to a 3-3 draw for their first ever Watford Sunday League point.

Mike Langley got a double for George and Luke Furlong was also on target, with Taylor Kemp, Harry Foley and Jake Millman replying.

Inter are certainly the in-form side in the division as they made it four games unbeaten with a third win, this time a 2-0 success over Batchworth, the side they suffered a 7-0 cup defeat to just five weeks ago.

Batchworth were left to rue some missed chances in both halves, as Ion Vranceanu opened the scoring for Inter against the run of play and Tudor Stoica sealed the win late on in the second half to move their side up to fifth in the table.