Sunday football returned to the Watford area after a gap of 113 days at the weekend.

With the league programme voided, two cup competitions have been introduced, the Invitation Cup and the Junior Cup.

The first round stage of both competitions is using a group format, with each side playing the other teams in the group once.

Invitation Cup Group A

Rifle Volunteer are the only side who played in the Premier Division during the regular season in this group, with the other teams coming from Division One. They got off to a good start with a 3-1 home victory over Oxhey Spartans.

Rifle went ahead when Andy Lomas was brought down in the box and Adam Doe slotted home the penalty.

Oxhey equalised when Jordan Aston-Woods saw his 30-yard shot crash down off the crossbar and out, the referee first waved away Spartans’ claims that the ball had crossed the line, but the Rifle linesman flagged to confirm that the ball had in fact gone in.

Rifle controlled the game in the second half and took a well-deserved lead mid-way through the half courtesy of Lomas knee from a Gary Froy driven ball across the face of goal.

A third goal soon followed when a cross from the left by Chris Killer was turned into his own net by a Oxhey defender.

The other game in the group between Langleybury CC and Cassiobury Rangers produced the same result, 3-1 for the home side.

Langleybury went ahead after thanks to an own goal following a flick at the near post.

A second goal followed in the first half when Cassiobury failed to deal with a free-kick, allowing Dan Byron to score on the half volley.

The second half saw Langleybury extend their lead through Lenny Farhall before Cassiobury pulled a goal back late on thanks to a header from Joe Mortimer.

Invitation Cup Group B

Fox & Stone had a fine start with a 4-2 win over North Watford.

They went ahead after a right-footed strike from Alex Witham went through the keeper’s legs.

North Watford equalised after a well worked goal before the break was scored by Marcus Wylli.

The home side went back in front in the second half after a run and shot from Mitchell Wiese.

A third was added when Jude Bell beat his man and slotted into the far corner.

North Watford pulled one back with a penalty scored by Chris Chase, but the game was wrapped up when Wiese tucked away a rebound after Witham hit the post.

St Josephs and Everett Rovers Reed battled to a 1-1 draw.

Roy Barron gave St Josephs the lead in the first half, scoring at the third attempt after a goalmouth scramble.

Both sides missed good chances in the second half, but Everett took a point from the game thanks to a goal from Nick Kerley struck from just inside the area.

Junior Cup Group A

Inter came back from a goal down to beat King George 2-1.

Ash Yelland gave King George the lead before two goals from Tudor Stoica completed the win.

A single goal from Ali Shale was enough for Chess United to beat Woodside Wanderers, while South Herts defeated Batchworth 3-2 thanks to a late winner scored by Conor Kennedy.

Jacob Mwenda, Marcos Junior Lima had scored the earlier South Herts goals, with Mikel Walsh netting both of the Batchworth replies.

Junior Cup Group B

Watford Town won the Watford derby, beating Watford Sports 3-1.

Alex Nottage, Louis Smith and Nathan Nottage got the Sports goals, with Taylor Kemp replying for Town.

Sparta Phoenix beat the other Watford side in the group, Watford Athletic, 2-0 thanks to goals from Tom Rillstone and Craig Putman.

Junior Cup Group C

Hertfordshire Eagles came from behind to beat FC Woodside 2-1.

They had trailed to a Louis Bamgboye first-half penalty, but two goals from Charlie Kimpton gave them the perfect start to the competition.

St Mary’s Harefield defeated West Herts 2-0 thanks to goals from Charlie Malin and Karl Swan.

The other game in the group between ER FC and FC Metropolitan Herts was abandoned after a serious injury to a Metropolitan Herts player.

Junior Cup Group D

WD got the better of Ricky AFC 3-2, with Ben Dunton putting in a man of the match performance for his team, scoring one of the goals alongside efforts from Hamze Ali and Dion Belle.

Catlin Manea and Alex Ungureanu were on target for Ricky.