Invitation Cup Group A

Cassiobury Rangers went top of their Watford Sunday League Invitation Cup group after a 3-0 home win over Oxhey Spartans.

After a goalless first half in which both sides failed to make the most of some good chances, the second period was largely one-way traffic, with Rangers pressing the issue throughout.

They eventually broke the deadlock after winning a free-kick on the far right of the pitch. Corum Chase swung his delivery to the back post where Rob Ladmore leapt highest, giving the keeper no chance.

Chase was soon involved again, this time when he was brought down in the penalty area, but the resulting spot-kick was saved down to the bottom left by the Oxhey keeper.

However, Cassiobury did double their advantage when Chase came inside from the right wing and moved the ball to Conor Callanan, whose long-range effort was parried by the Oxhey keeper, straight to the feet of Chase who smashed home.

A third was then added soon after when Callanan was able to dribble into the penalty area and shifted the ball past a defender who carelessly brought him down, resulting in a second penalty for Rangers.

This time Joe Mortimer stepped up and dispatched into the left corner off the post to seal the comfortable win.

The leaders at the start of the day, Railway Arms and Langleybury CC, fought out a 2-2 draw.

Railway went ahead after 20 minutes when a free-kick from the right-hand side by Michael Lipman found Harry Bradford at the back post, he helped the ball back across the six-yard box to find Charlie Wharton who slotted home.

Langlebury hit back just after the half-an-hour mark when confusion in the home defence led to Lenny Farhall equalising.

Paul Kenwright restored the Railway lead with a cool finish from 18 yards out after the restart, but once again Langleybury equalised when Farhall scoring his second of the game thanks to a neat shimmy, turn and finish.

Arms had a golden chance to seal the win when they were awarded a penalty for handball five minutes from time, but George Brockowitz saw his effort saved by Langleybury stand-in goalkeeper Harry Lock.

Invitation Cup Group B

Sun Sports Athletic got the better of St Josephs 4-2.

Danny Parkinson, Nick Kerley, Jack Robertson and Tom Inch all scored for Sun, with Dean Seabrook and Hugo Figerido replying for Joes.

A FC Metropolitan Herts player on the ball

A FC Metropolitan Herts player on the ball

Junior Cup Group A

Chess United’s 3-0 local derby victory over Batchworth, their fourth straight victory in the competition, has left them on the brink of qualification for the quarter-finals.

Ali Shale, Dan Anderson and George Adams got the goals.

South Herts did all they could do by defeating King George 4-0 to move into second place in the group.

Joe Brown, Marcos Junior Lima, Teddy Kennedy and Carlos Magalhaes scored the goals, meaning South Herts will be hoping that Inter fail to win their remaining two games to overtake them for qualification.

Junior Cup Group B

The game between ACS Milan and Chalfont Saints, who both had nothing to play for in terms of qualification for the last eight, nevertheless produced an entertaining game with Chalfont running out 3-2 winners.

Sam Roberts netted a hat-trick for Saints, with Dan Cresswell and Harley Wilson replying for ACS.

Junior Cup Group C

Hertfordshire Eagles clinched the runners-up spot in the group with a 4-2 win over FC Metropolitan Herts.

Charlie Kimpton netted a hat-trick with Jordan Osbourne scoring his side’s other goal. Tom McGuiness netted both times for Herts.

Challenging for the ball

Challenging for the ball

Junior Cup Group D

AFC Bedmond, who had already sealed a quarter-final place, rounded off the group stage with a 6-2 win over a Dome Bar side who finished bottom of the group table after a fourth straight defeat.

Bedmond opened the scoring through Connor Toomey after he got on the end of a cross from Jake Davison.

Dome Bar equalised just after when Jay Hayes headed in from a corner but Bedmond restored the lead just before half-time when Lewis Toomey ran through to slot home.

Bedmond piled on the pressure in the second half and extended their lead through another goal from Connor Toomey, who then completed his hat-trick after his shot took a small deflection.

Lewis Toomey scored his second of the game and Bedmond’s fifth with a good finish into the bottom corner.

Scott Kilbane pulled a goal back for Dome Bar before Connor Toomey, after missing several chances, netted his fourth of the match and his team’s sixth.