Junior Cup Semi-Final

St Marys Harefield reached the Watford Sunday League Junior Cup final, but they had to do it the hard way, coming from behind before edging past Watford Town 3-2.

Town had a dream start when Louis Smith gave them the lead in the opening minutes.

It was an advantage they held until just before the break when James Peake equalised.

Peake struck again early in the second half, but Town drew level thanks to a goal from Nathan Nottage.

Karl Swan restored St Marys’ lead and this time they managed to hold on despite heavy late pressure from Town to set up this Sunday’s final against AFC Bedmond.

Watford Observer:

A Rifle Volunteer player finds himself outnumbered. Picture: Len Kerswill

Invitation Cup Quarter-Finals

Fox & Stone came back from 2-0 down to defeat Rifle Volunteer 5-2.

Rifle looked to be cruising into the last four as they held a two-goal advantage at the break, thanks to an Andy Lomas free-kick and a swift counter-attack which was finished off by Ish Ehui.

A tactical change at half-time made the difference though, with Mitchell Wiese and Alex Witham running riot in the second half.

Wiese scored a hat-trick with three well-taken strikes and Witham netted the important first and third goals.

Watford Observer:

Fox & Stone scored five unanswered second-half goals. Picture: Len Kerswill

Favourites Oakview were given a tough fight by Cassiobury Rangers before winning 2-1.

Cassiobury came into the game with a game plan to keep a deep line and playing on the counter-attack.

That approach seemed to be working but they suffered a cruel blow deep into stoppage time in the first half when Oakview finally broke through when a deep cross to the back post from Jake Grace was headed back across goal and into the top of the net by Taylor Cobb.

Rangers did not let the goal faze them and equalised when a Sam Mortimer corner deep to the back post was taken down by Sam Parker, who drove the ball back into the box and Taylor Osunsedo was on hand to convert from close range.

Cassiobury were just 10 minutes from taking the game into extra-time, but Oakview finally broke through the well-organised Rangers defence when John Smith got on the end of a Lewis Stead cross to the back post.

Oakview will play North Watford in the semi-final this Sunday after they progressed due to AFC Leavesden being unable to field a team.

Fox & Stone will play the winners of tomorrow’s tie between Sun Sports Athletic and Railway Arms, also on Sunday.