After the ecstasy of a dramatic late FA Cup victory over Romford the previous weekend, it was back to the agony as an injury-time goal condemned Kings Langley to another home defeat with a 2-1 loss to Salisbury.

It was a double whammy as the heroes of that 3-2 win suffered further set backs on their road to recovery. Edu Toiny-Pendred limped off in the 70th minute and Harry Crawford, though named on the bench, was not considered fit enough to come on.

Toiny-Pendred had given Kings a 16th-minute lead from the penalty spot and it looked like they would hold on for a point after being pegged back shortly after the restart. However, Salisbury snatched the win in the third minute of stoppage time to leave their opponents still seeking a first league win of the season after six attempts.

The versatile Jack Wood had been switched to the number 10 role and he had the first shot of the match in the first minute. Six minutes later a peach of a through ball from young midfielder Alfie Williams, signed on a month’s loan from Stevenage, set him one-on-one with the keeper, but his effort flew over the bar.

However, the early pressure was to tell on the 15-minute mark as Eli Hearn’s electrifying right wing run and cut inside was unceremoniously halted by a trip in the box and Toiny-Pendred coolly dispatched the resultant spot kick.

Salisbury were hardly in the game at this point, but on the half-hour mark only the outstretched leg of keeper Liam Studley foiled a Charlie Davis shot and as they upped the pressure, Studley pulled off another good save to deny Dan Fitchett.

Steve Claridge’s half-time team talk to the visitors was probably a harsh one, as they were level within three minutes of the restart as Oliver Knowles hammered in a left-wing cross from the edge of the box

An immediate response from Kings saw Wood on the end of a through ball from Yasin Arai, but his shot lacked power and was saved by Marcus Beauchamp.

The impetus was now with the visitors as Kings had lost their early sparkle and a Knowles shot flashed wide, before Sam Roberts hit a post, collected the rebound and was stunned as Studley made an instinctive point-blank save.

One more chance fell to Wood, this time inches over, as Wood continued to put himself in position to accept chances on more occasions than anyone else.

But with the goal threat of Toiny-Pendred - moved wide to accommodate the somewhat subdued Arel Amu - removed following a touchline sprint and tangle that aggravated his previous injury, Kings closed ranks to deny the seemingly inevitable.

That they did so for the 20 minutes of normal time that remained made it all the harder to take when a right-wing cross from Emmanuel Odubade was met with the perfect volley by Davis to rocket into the top left-hand corner in the third minute of stoppage time.

It doesn’t get any easier for Kings as they travel to Premier Division South leaders Hayes & Yeading tomorrow night before entertaining Leiston in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round on Saturday,