Oxhey Jets continue to rebuild under new management by picking up a valuable point after a 2-2 draw against Leighton Town on Saturday.

The hosts had reason to look upon the draw as two points dropped after leading 2-0, but they also cause to be grateful for the point after Leighton missed a last-minute penalty at the end of a game that saw Joe Sweeney and Paul Copson leave their jobs at the Leighton helm soon after.

The result leaves Jets second bottom of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division but the performance provided more positives for manager Kevin Christou and assistant James Gibbs as they seek to get Jets moving in the right direction again following their appointment last month.

Watford Observer:

Kevin Christou (wearing cap) and James Gibbs

Town had the bulk of the early possession and play but they were stunned after 19 minutes when 17-year-old centre back Ferrell Charles made the breakthrough with an incredible strike from distance.

Watford Observer:

The Leighton keeper is beaten by Ferrell Charles' long-range opener

Jets did most of the defending thereafter but Christou has got his new charges well organised, with new signing Steven Wade looking a strong addition as he marshalled proceedings at the back, as the home side held their lead to the break.

The second period continued much like the first with Leighton dominating, only to find themselves two down after an hour when Wade scored with a superb header.

Watford Observer:

The players look on as Steven Wade puts Jets 2-0 up

However, Danny Webb halved the deficit after 68 minutes and ten minutes Leighton were level thanks to a David Parkinson goal.

Jets had lost Wade to injury and his replacement Hassan Bangura lasted just 14 minutes on the pitch, picking up two yellow cards to leave his teammates hanging on in the closing stages.

It looked like Town’s pressure would finally tell at the death when they were awarded a penalty, but Webb put the spot-kick wide of the target.

Watford Observer:

Danny Webb puts his penalty wide

After the match Leighton released a statement which said it was “with since regret that the club received the resignations of joint managers” Sweeney and Copson.