Visiting fans slammed Watford FC stewards for their slow and "chaotic" reaction after a young supporter fell dangerously ill.

Shanel Crampton, a teenage Sheffield United supporter with a rare adrenal disorder, reportedly lost consciousness during the second half of Monday's game at Vicarage Road.

Two fans ran onto the pitch to get the match stopped and another claimed it was the "most inadequate response" to an emergency they had seen.

A tweet from Shanel's account says she lost consciousness for 15 minutes and her condition can be fatal if not dealt with quickly.

Sheffield United said on Tuesday that Shanel is now recovering after being discharged from Watford General Hospital, which is next to the stadium.

Read more: Relaunched pub reveals nostalgic Watford FC origin behind new name

Shanel's mum Kellie told the Sheffield Star fans were "raging" as stewards "hung around and chatted".

Max Harrison, 18, told the Watford Observer: "In around the 70th minute, there was shouting from the top of the stand. The stewards took no notice. Then the rest of the stand was shouting and screaming for help." 

Max says he saw a fan of each team go on to the pitch to get the game stopped.

Max continued: "Our fans even chanted 'stop the game' when we were attacking.

"It was a disgraceful response and thankfully the person was not having a cardiac arrest.

"People need to be held accountable and trained appropriately. I've never seen anything like it."

The match was paused at 9.33pm, resuming five minutes later.

Fellow Blade Gavin Lambert said: "The reactions of all involved were very slow, there appeared to be no emergency plan in place by Watford FC or any other services involved. It was chaotic."

Read more: Sheffield United boss bemoans referee for Watford winner

A video, watched more than 75,000 times, claims to show fans pleading for medical help and remonstrating with police and stewards.

It is unclear how long it took for help to arrive, with her mother Kellie claiming in the Star it was up to 30 minutes.

Read more: Edwards hails front three’s ‘desire’ after Sheffield United win

In a statement issued this morning, Watford said St John Ambulance staff were at the scene "within two minutes of being called" by stewards, with paramedics and the crowd doctor called as the fan's condition "regressed rapidly".

The club added: "Once our crew assessed the patient, we were able to have an ambulance on-scene in just over nine minutes, and she was transported to hospital for further assessment and care."

It added there will be a routine review of operations should it be deemed necessary.

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

To receive breaking news alerts or newsletters sign up here.

Check out our Watford crime and court Facebook page here.