Martin Taylor is expected to return to the heart of the Watford defence for tonight's game with Brighton and Hove Albion.

Taylor was substituted at half time on Saturday after his eye "ballooned" and blocked his vision - with manager Sean Dyche claiming he had "never seen anything like it".

But yesterday afternoon Dyche confirmed: "Martin's injury is ok, it has settled down and we are confident he will be fit to play. But we will give it another 24 hours to make sure."

Adrian Mariappa, who had been out for a month prior to Saturday, was sent off 20 minutes after coming on for Taylor against Hull City and will serve a one-match suspension tonight.

If Taylor does not play, then Dale Bennett is likely to replace the former Birmingham and Blackburn centre half.

Dyche said: "Dale has had little windows and has been out on loan, which has been good for him.

"It is difficult for him to get in the side because of Nyron Nosworthy coming in and Martin and Mapps - they are all established players. But when he has been called upon, he has done well for us."

The game at Brighton's new Amex Stadium has come too early for centre midfielder Stephen McGinn but Ross Jenkins is available after a groin problem.

Dyche said: "We think it is still too early for Stephen. We will see how it goes in the next week or so to see whether he can be involved before the end of the season. The bigger picture is more important than trying to rush him back for a game."

On Jenkins, Dyche added: "He has been training this week and is fit for selection."

Young striker Gavin Massey returned to the club this week after his second loan spell at Colchester United and is in contention for a place in the squad.

Dyche said: "Gavin will probably travel with the squad but whether he makes the actual squad for the game, we will decide nearer the kick-off."

Massey, who played 17 times for Yeovil Town earlier this season, made two starts and one substitute outing during his first spell at Colchester, before he was recalled by Watford.

The 19-year-old then made another two starts and three substitute appearances during his second stay with United, but had not started since late March.

Dyche said: "To be honest, his recall was a mixture of things. He had played a number of games in his first spell and been involved and in the latter stage of the second spell, he hadn't been involved as much.

"I have a good relationship with Jon Ward (manager) and I just said maybe if he comes back then he gets a look-in with us or he will be back in our environment as he has been out a long time.

"He had a good experience at a couple of different clubs and we can remind him of what we are about, get him training with the lads and possibility involved along the way as well."

There will be more from Dyche ahead of tonight's game later this afternoon.