Kings Langley’s inconsistency was evident again as they produced a poor performance against mid-table Biggleswade Town and fell to a 2-0 defeat.

Following their excellent display in the 4-1 mid-week win against Bishop’s Stortford, hopes that Paul Hobbs’ men could build on that display proved unfounded as the visitors were sunk by two second-half goals from Liam Brooks.

The only change to the Kings line-up was the inclusion of Michael King at number 9 in place of Mustafa Tiryaki, who had been recalled to Wealdstone after just one game on loan.

Biggleswade began the quicker and Martin Bennett had to be at full stretch to tip a snap Tony Burnett effort around his post.

Brooks produced an eye-catching overhead shot shortly afterwards, but Kings gradually took over proceedings, without finding the cutting edge to maximise their possession.

The nearest they came was when a Brendan Ocran free-kick produced a Jorell Johnson header that was superbly cleared off the line. But a somewhat unentertaining opening half drifted to a close without either team looking as if they were going to break the deadlock.

Given Kings’ chequered record of second half performances this season, the away supporters were concerned and when King, who had missed the last two matches with a virus, failed to start the second half, the current dearth of fit strikers saw Mitchell Weiss pressed into service while clearly still suffering the effects of an ankle injury.

The Waders came out in a more positive frame of mind, forcing Bennett into two early saves, and within a quarter-of-an-hour a right-wing cross from debutant Greg Kaziboni was swept first time into the net by the alert Brooks.

As Kings laboured to find any rhythm, they were dealt the coup-de-grace a further 15 minutes later when a Jordan Patrick through ball gave a one-on-one chance for Brooks and he completed his double in confident fashion.

The visitors looked a spent force, relying on long balls that were competently dealt with by the experienced Gavin Hoyte and his defence.

Ocran willingly continued to try to get on the end of this over optimistic service and one effort, where he beat two defenders on the corner flag to deliver in one movement a fizzing cross into the goalmouth was arguably Kings’ highlight of the second period. Unfortunately for the visitors, none of his colleagues were up with him to take advantage, which probably sums up a bad day at the office.

Kings Langley: Bennett; Folarin (Waldren 78), Connolly, Tring, Adebiyi; Godfrey, Coldicott-Stevens (Ward 67); Ocran, Johnson, Turner; King (Weiss 46). Subs not used: Hampton, Karagozlu.