A pensioner found hanged in his Watford home was suffering from tinnitus, an inquest heard.

Leonard Neville, who was known to his family as Len, of Forest Road, died on September 20, 2014 at Watford General Hospital.

An inquest, held at Hertfordshire Coroners Court on Thursday, heard that Mr Neville, 73, was found by his wife on September 19, 2014.

She called the ambulance, which was accompanied by the air ambulance, and the paramedics were able to resuscitate him. However, he did not regain consciousness and died the following day.

The court heard it was not the first time Mr Neville had attempted to take his life. In March, he was taken to hospital after an overdose.

Dr Ahmad and Tumde Adio, who specialise in mental health and had treated Mr Neville, gave evidence.

Dr Ahmad described Mr Neville as a "brave man", who had suffered from tinnitus, a condition where the individual consistently hears a ringing sound, for many years without alleviation of the symptoms.

As a result, he was often sleep deprived, which led to memory problems and recurrent depressive order. This was in addition to an anxiety disorder, which he had medication for.

Dr Ahmad, who had been treating Mr Neville since April, said: "Mr Neville has worries about this which the family said he should not have worries about.

"But he was gradually getting better, his depressive symptoms were better than his anxiety symptoms."

Mr Adio, a nurse who visited Mr Neville weekly, said he was a very pleasant, but was reluctant to go to his anxiety management meetings.

Mr Adio last saw the pensioner the day before he hanged himself. He said: "He was always anxious about when he would be back to normal, and on that day, he was just normal and I did not have a clue that he would do this."

The coroner, Edward Thomas, told the court: "His family was very supportive of him and he had built up a relationship with the nurse. And while we could see the light at the end of the tunnel he could not.

"Mr Neville took his own life by hanging after suffering from recurrent depressive disorder. This would not have happened otherwise."