A drink driver led the police on a 20-mile chase from Rickmansworth to Luton before crashing through barriers at the David Lloyd health centre.

Michael Puncheon, 31, drove at 100 miles per hour along the M25 and M1 in an attempt to get away from the officers.

Prosecutor Douglas Page told Luton crown court today that the police spotted him driving a VW Caddy van slowly, and crossing the centre line of the road, at two minutes past one in the morning on 27 November last year.

He said: "They pulled the vehicle over. An officer in full uniform got out. As soon as he reached the van, Mr Puncheon sped off.

"The officers gave chase. Mr Puncheon drove onto the M25 towards Watford, recording speeds in excess of 100 mph.

"He joined the M1 at junction 21 and headed north towards Luton again in excess of 100 mph.

"A traffic unit joined the pursuit from junction 9 and he exited at junction 10, carrying onto Airport Way."

Three police cars followed him onto Capability Green, where Puncheon smashed through a barrier and stopped. He was blocked in by the police and reversed his van into one of their vehicles.

Puncheon ran off, but an officer gave chase and he was detained almost immediately, said Mr Page.

He gave an alcohol reading of 60, with the legal limit being 35. When questioned by officers, he made no comment.

Puncheon, of Lapwing Place, Watford, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, possessing cocaine and driving while over the alcohol limit. It was his second drink drive offence.

Tim Clarke, defending, said Puncheon is an addict who started using drugs at 17. He said he had pleaded guilty at the earlier opportunity.

He handed the judge references showing that he had taken steps to tackle his drink and drug addiction.

Recorder John Brooke-Smith told him: "This was a shocking piece of driving. It is a miracle no-one was hurt. It is made worse that you have a previous conviction in 2010."

But he said: "The feature of your case, which enables me to suspend the sentence, is that you appear to have recognised the challenges of alcohol and drug addiction and have taken steps to address it."

He passed a 12 month sentence suspended for two years. He ordered Puncheon to carry out 200 hours' unpaid work and carry out 10 days of a rehabilitation requirement.

Puncheon must also pay £1200 prosecution costs. He was banned from driving for 3 years and must take an extended retest before he regains his licence.