A father who suffered a traumatic brain injury when he was run over outside a tube station has spoken for the first time about his battle to return to health.

Jack Castle-Jones, from Watford, sustained horrific and life-changing injuries including a fractured skull, a bleed on the brain, a fractured cheekbone, a broken right knee and a collapsed lung when he was hit by a motorbike in central London in 2017.

The 29-year-old spent two months in hospital, including in intensive care, following the crash which happened when he was walking to work.

Nearly three years later, Mr Castle-Jones has been unable to return to work or carry out the simplest of tasks he dreams of having with his son, Ollie.

He said: "My injuries have had a huge impact on my life. I miss working and doing many of the things such as playing football and boxing, things that I used to take for granted.

"I have trouble concentrating when people talk to me and I get tired really easily too. I also don’t like going out alone too, as I find it makes me really anxious.

"It is difficult not knowing what the future holds, but I’m trying not to think about it too much. I’m young, so I’m trying to stay focused on my recovery. I am determined to make a recovery and get myself back to work, while I also want to get to a point where I can play more with my son, Ollie, and kick a ball around with him."

Mr Castle-Jones owes his life to the doctors and hospital staff who provided him with the care and treatment he needed following the serious collision in November 2017.

Watford Observer:

He was taken to St Mary’s Hospital where he underwent life-saving brain surgery.

He was transferred to Watford General Hospital on December 10 before he was admitted to Blackheath Brain Injury Rehabilitation Centre on New Year’s Day in 2018.

Mr Castle-Jones, who says he is "grateful" to those who did save his life, is now living with his parents Karen and Steve Lockwood.

He still suffers behavioural, memory and mobility problems as well as fatigue following the collision, and has been unable to return to his construction job.

Mr Castle-Jones is looking to a more positive future after working with serious injury lawyers Irwin Mitchell which investigate the incident that led to his injuries and helped him gain access to the specialist rehabilitation he requires.

Watford Observer:

A photo of Jack Castle-Jones in 2020

Lawyers say the dad was hit by a motorcyclist travelling at 48mph in a 30mph zone - although police decided not to prosecute anyone in connection with the collision.

Peter Lorence, expert serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing Mr Castle-Jones, said: "The consequences of the collision and the devastating injuries he suffered have had a tremendous impact on Jack’s life, and the lives of his family.

"Jack has made significant progress considering the seriousness of his injuries, however, he still faces a lengthy battle to try and overcome his injuries the best he can.

"While nothing can make up for what has happened, we are pleased to have secured the interim payment, allowing Jack to access the specialist therapies and support he requires to maximise his recovery.

"We will continue to support Jack throughout his recovery. It is vital that all road users pay attention at all times to help reduce the number of people serious injured in accidents."