Firefighters have issued a warning about batteries after a shop fire in Northwood.

Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to a fire at a shop with flats above in Maxwell Road just after midnight on Monday.

The London Fire Brigade says part of the ground-floor shop was damaged but one person was able to leave a flat above before the fire brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

Crews from Ruislip, Harrow and Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and the fire was under control shortly after 2am (September 27).

Fire investigators believe the fire was accidental and involved lithium-ion batteries for a golf buggy.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re overcharged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged and charge them safely.

"Unplug devices once they have finished charging and always make sure you use the right charger for your device."