A body has been found in the water at a Plymouth dockyard almost a month after a Watford teenager went missing nearby.

Michael Oppong Yeboah, 18, was last seen swimming off the East Hoe beach with a group of friends on the evening of March 18.

Devon and Cornwall Police were called at around 11.10pm after the group returned to the beach but Michael did not.

A large search was launched which saw three lifeboats, a coastguard helicopter and police dive teams called out to search the area near the Tinside Lido overnight.

They were stood down at 1pm the next day after they did not find him.

Police have now confirmed a body was found in the water at 6.45am on April 10 and Michael’s family have been were informed. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

They said the death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.

In a statement to Plymouth Live, Michael's family paid tribute to the "kind-hearted" 18-year-old who was studying at the University of Plymouth at the time.

His mother Doris Kyeremaa said she had “lost a great person” in her life who she will “never forget”.

“He was a very respectful, kind-hearted, humble, peaceful and God-fearing individual. He loved the company of others and his friends and always made sure to put others' happiness first.

"He loved spending time with and looking after children. Michael had an infectious smile like that of an angel. He always made me forget about my personal issues whenever he was with me.”

He studied at Westfield Academy in Watford, who paid tribute to the former pupil: "Michael joined Westfield in 2017 as a year 7 student. Throughout the seven years with us, Michael was always the kind, gentle, softly spoken, polite, grounded student who formed strong relationships with both his peers and teachers.

"During his period in Sixth Form Michael mentored and supported emotionally and academically a student with autism. This student has since left us and is doing well in his next stage of education.

"Michael will be remembered with much fondness and affection not only by this student in particular, but the whole Westfield community."

A community fundraiser was set up on March 22 to help his family after he went missing which has now raised over £4,600.

Michael was born at Watford General Hospital on August 26, 2005, and was baptised at Holy Road, Catholic Church Watford in 2011, according to his mother.

He attended Chater Infant and Junior Schools, before he went on to attend Westfield Academy as well as the Watford African Caribbean supplementary school. 

Michael also volunteered at the Watford foodbank and became a lifeguard at the leisure centre as “he loved swimming”.