Goals from Matej Vydra and Daniel Tozser ensured Watford came from behind to lead Millwall at half-time at Vicarage Road.

Prior to kick-off a foil display which covered the whole of the Rookery Stand was held aloft to mark the 100-year anniversary of the start of the First World War.

Troy Deeney was back in the Golden Boys’ starting XI for the first time since mid-September after three substitute outings. The Hornets’ captain led the line-with Matej Vydra and Odion Ighalo behind. Fernando Forestieri was the one to miss out.

It had been even longer since Keith Andrews had begun a game. The midfielder replaced Ikechi Anya in midfield for his first start since August 26.

Heurelho Gomes was also back after missing last week’s 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough.

The Golden Boys started the contest very brightly and the visitors did not leave their half in the opening four minutes.

However, Millwall took the lead shortly afterwards when Martyn Woolford showed good composure to beat Sebastien Bassong inside the area and he coolly finished into the bottom corner.

Watford Observer:

The Hornets lacked composure on the ball and were wasteful when attempting to enter the final third for most of the half.

But a well-worked corner nine minutes before the break saw Watford equalise. Vydra appeared to make minimal contact on Andrews’ lofted pass but the ball still went past David Forde.

And in the third minute of injury-time, Watford took the lead through Tozser’s thunderbolt of a free-kick, which went central but left Forde motionless. The Hornets wanted a penalty in the build-up and Millwall believed Alan Dunne was fouled. Ultimately it mattered little.

Watford: Gomes; Paredes, Bassong (Hoban 32), Ekstrand, Pudil; Andrews, Munari, Tozser; Vydra, Ighalo; Deeney.

Subs: Bond, McGugan, Forestieri, Doyley, Murray, Dyer.

Millwall: Forde; Wilkinson, Webster, Dunne, Briggs; Upson, Williams; Martin, McDonald, Woolford; Fuller.

Subs: King, Shittu, Beevers, Malone, Chaplow, Gueye, O'Brien.

Referee: Bobby Madley.