Reed Rangers won the Sunday Intermediate Cup for the first time in their 42-year history after a 3-1 victory over The Bull & Jacks.

Rangers boss Stephen Lawrence said: "It wasn’t a pretty game to play in and the conditions certainly had an impact on the quality. I thought we were the better side though, and we had beaten a lot of good teams on route to this final.

"This is the first time in 42 years the club have won the cup, and it means we’re still on course to win the treble this season."

Rangers got off to a bright start in Letchworth and almost took the lead when Jamie Speer's shot was well saved by Jacks goalkeeper Russell Garland.

The Bull & Jacks eventually began to find a rhythm after 20 minutes at a windy County Ground and Brad Harrison fired in a goal bound effort from 20 yards which was blocked by Reed skipper Adam Crassweller.

Rangers opened the scoring after 30 minutes when Ashley Lewis sent in a cross and Dominic David took a touch before slotting past the Jacks goalkeeper for the breakthrough.

It took just ten minutes for Reed Rangers to double their lead.

Winger Lewis showed great pace to get past his man and deliver another dangerous ball into the Jacks area. A defensive mix up saw that ball fall to the feet David again and the striker wrong footed the keeper to sweep a left-footed finish into the corner of the net.

The Bull and Jacks, playing into the wind in the first period, pulled one back in in the 43rd minute. A rebounded shot fell to Brad Harrison and he took one touch before fizzing a half volley past the outstretched fingertips of Rangers goalkeeper Adrian Delaporte.

Reed almost extended their lead in the second half when Garland was required to make an impressive double save to deny Speer and David.

Jacks came close to an equaliser but Scott Ferguson headed wide while James Owen failed to get the finishing touch on another attack.

Owen should have made it 2-2 when he raced through on goal but his attempted lob was kept out by Delaporte.

But their best chance to level came when Rangers conceded a penalty. Harrison stepped up but fired wide of the post as Reed came through unscathed.

Rangers clinched victory in the final minutes of the final when Lewis held off a challenge and side-footed past the keeper.