Watford were brought back to reality following their memorable win over Manchester United after a desperately disappointing 2-0 defeat at Burnley this evening.

Sean Dyche’s side were the better team in the first half and deservedly took the lead before the break through Jeff Hendrick’s header.

It got even worse for Walter Mazzarri’s team at the start of the second period after Michael Keane’s header doubled Burnley’s lead to send Watford to their first away defeat of the season.

The Hornets made just one change to the side which pulled off their unforgettable win over United. Nordin Amrabat returned to the team in place of injured wing-back Daryl Janmaat. Younes Kaboul was fit enough to be named on the bench after missing last weekend’s game.

Sam Vokes started up front for Burnley in place of suspended striker Andre Gray. Johann Berg Gudmundsson was also brought into Sean Dyche’s side with Scott Arfield dropping to the bench.

The hosts almost opened the scoring early on through George Boyd but his fierce strike was superbly tipped over the bar by Heurelho Gomes.

Burnley kept up their early pressure and the home fans protested for a penalty against Jose Holebas, for a handball from Steven Defour’s shot, but referee Michael Jones waved play on.

Roberto Pereyra received a yellow card midway through the half for his petulance following the decision to award a free-kick against him for a shove on Boyd.

The Clarets were looking much brighter than Watford and Gudmundsson went close after cutting in from the right but his low strike narrowly missed the target.

The visitors lacked fluency with the attacking sharpness of recent games severely lacking at Turf Moor.

Holebas also picked up a booking towards the end of the half after being penalised for dissent.

Burnley grabbed a deserved lead in the 38th minute when Defour’s corner was headed past Gomes by Hendrick.

The visitors felt aggrieved by the opener claiming the corner had gone out of play and then curled back over the line but the Hornets could have few complaints about the scoreline after a poor display.

Watford’s first meaningful attempt on target came in injury time when Pereyra’s cross was headed towards goal by Odion Ighalo but goalkeeper Tom Heaton comfortably saved the effort.

Watford Observer:

Mazzarri made a change at half-time introducing last week’s hero Juan Camilo Zuniga in place of Craig Cathcart.

Watford made a bright start to the second half and captain Troy Deeney fired in a powerful shot which was parried by Heaton.

But the Hornets fell further behind in the 50th minute when Defour’s cross was headed home by centre-back Keane.

It was no surprise Mazzarri quickly made a second change as exciting prospect Isaac Success replaced Amrabat.

Burnley almost added a third goal through a powerful strike by Defour but Gomes reacted sharply to parry his effort.

Watford were still struggling to trouble their opponents and Deeney was unable to direct his header, from Pereyra’s delivery, on target.

Success picked up a booking for a foul on Stephen Ward as the visitors’ frustrations continued at Turf Moor.

Pereyra was arguably lucky to avoid a second booking for a challenge on Hendrick and the midfielder was swiftly replaced by debutant Kenedy.

The Clarets were still pressing for a third goal and almost netted in the last ten minutes but Boyd's strike was turned round the post by Gomes.

Success almost notched his first goal for the club when he raced into area but his low strike flew narrowly past the far post.

There were four minutes of injury time but Mazzarri's side failed to score for the first time during this campaign after an evening to forget at Turf Moor.

Burnley: Heaton; Ward, Keane, Mee, Lowton; Boyd, Marney, Defour (Arfield, 83), Hendrick, Gudmundsson (Kightly, 90); Vokes

Subs not used: Bamford, Robinson, Flanagan, Tarkowski, O’Neill

Watford: Gomes; Prodl, Cathcart (Zuniga, HT), Britos; Holebas, Behrami, Capoue, Pereyra (Kenedy, 75), Amrabat (Success, 58); Deeney, Ighalo

Subs not used: Kaboul, Guedioura, Watson, Pantilimon

Referee: Michael Jones