Oxhey Jets were no match for local rivals Leverstock Green as they went down to a heavy 4-1 defeat on Saturday.

The loss looked a long way off after an evenly-fought first period, but Green showed greater cutting edge to pull away at considerable speed in the second half.

Both sides were intent on playing attacking football and chances arrived with frightening regularity in the opening half.

Jets were ahead with their first attack after just five minutes when Curtis Donaldson measured an inch-perfect free-kick to find the head of Lewis Smith and he duly found the net.

Leverstock reacted well to the early setback and created four fine chances in quick succession, but saw each one go begging thanks to some wayward finishing.

Chris Blunden was unlucky not to make it 2-0, however, seeing a strike from range beat the keeper but roll agonisingly along the goal line.

The visitors did not have to wait long to pull level and it was 1-1 with 13 minutes on the clock when Nick Jackson was put through on goal and converted.

Smith went close to netting his second as he once again got up well to connect with a header but could only guide his attempt wide.

The end-to-end nature of the first half continued until the interval and it was a surprise the scores remained level at the break.

It wouldn’t remain that way for long though, and the second half yielded a goal inside three minutes of the restart as Jackson scored his second of the game.

He completed his brace in fine fashion, getting free at the back post and thumping a header into the top corner.

Jets turned to their bench to try and get back into the game, but their hopes of doing so were dashed with 64 minutes to play.

It was a Green substitute who made the difference as Like Nugent slid in to bundle in from a rebound.

Jonathan Lacey put the icing on the cake for Green with 12 minutes to play, setting off on a mazy run and finishing emphatically.

Southern League Premier Division leaders Berkhamsted were in imperious form as they thrashed Hoddesdon Town 8-0.

Adam Mead broke the deadlock with a 23rd-minute penalty before his side ran riot and scored almost at will.

Mead ended the game with two strikes to add to a brace from Dan Jones and goals for Adiel Mannion, Ashley Morrissey, Ben Bateman and Jack Stevens.

The result leaves Berko a point clear at the top of the table, but they have played four more games than second-place Welwyn Garden City.

Tring Athletic could only take a point from matches against Stotfold and Colney Heath.

Saturday saw Stotfold run out 4-2 winners as goals from Jack Read and Jack Sunderland proved inconsequential.

Tuesday night brought greater reward for Tring as they held Coney Heath to a 2-2 stalemate.

Having gone behind, a penalty from Read and goal for Chris Vardy put Tring ahead only for Heath to equalise with 17 minutes of the contest to play.