Ken Simmons Memorial Cup Round One

Fourth Division Sun Postal Sports caused a major upset as they beat Third Division Oxhey Rangers 11-3 in the competition for those sides knocked out in the first round of the Eric Hand Challenge Cup.

Jordan Sterling was the star man for the home side as he struck a hat-trick, with four of his teammates - Daniel Flanagan, Hamid Ali, Daniel Moss and Drew MacFarlane - all netting a double. Dan Pippin also struck a treble for Rangers with Ross Longmuir scoring their other goal.

FC Woodside are the highest ranked side in the competition and have a good record in the cups after reaching a final in each of the last two seasons.

They showed their pedigree once again by beating the team they defeated in the 2017 Junior Cup Final, The Tree, 3-1.

Woodside had the game won by half-time after scoring three times thanks to a double from Drew Snailham and one from Danny Roberts. Triantafilos Skapetis pulled a goal back late on for The Tree.

Division One

The only game to survive the weather in the top two divisions saw Cassiobury Rangers register a third league victory of the season after beating Langleybury CC 3-2.

Rangers broke the deadlock after a long ball into the box found its way into the net off Connor Callanan.

Langleybury had a penalty saved, both initially and the rebound by goalkeeper Jamie Scales. But soon after a break down the left wing and confusion in the Cassiobury defence led to an equaliser for Connor Sills.

Cassiobury went back in front when a Sam Mortimer cross was steered home by a Matt Ladmore header.

Rangers then doubled their lead when Joe Mortimer got to a through ball ahead of the Langleybury keeper, earning a penalty which he tucked away into the bottom corner.

Garry Cook pulled a goal back five minutes from time for Langleybury but it was not enough to prevent a fourth league defeat of the season.

Division Two

The two games in the division to survive the weather saw 15 goals scored.

Ripstone and Ardent both have a reputation for playing exciting attacking football, but it was Ripstone who won 7-1 with their opponents only able to field nine men.

The victors themselves were understrength and were forced to play top scorer Matt Elgey in goal.

He was beaten once in the first half when Charlie Salvage took his tally to seven for the season to bring his team level after an early penalty had been converted by Lee Culverhouse.

Ardent’s brave resistance was finally broken 15 minutes into the second period and then the floodgates opened.

Culverhouse scored twice more to complete a hat-trick and overtake Elgey in the divisional goal scorer charts, Jamie Wilson netted a treble of his own and Jamie Critchlow was also on target.

The win moves Ripstone into second place ahead of a top-of-the-table clash with leaders Bushey Rangers on Sunday.

Ricky AFC are finally up and running in the league as they notched a first league win of the season with a 5-2 success over Sun Regent Sports who are the only team in all five divisions yet to pick up a single point so far.

Ebeneezer Essiam scored a hat-trick and Mike McCourt added two more for the victors. Aarron Crawford and Jordan Wright got the Sun replies.

Division Three

AFC Leavesden made it six wins out of six but only after they were given a big fright by struggling NW FC before edging to a 3-2 victory.

Alex Diaz tapped in from two yards out to open the scoring, but Leavesden then missed a few chances including a penalty from Diaz.

However, the victors added a second after the break as Diaz pulled the ball back for Callum Woolnough to tuck away from 12 yards.

Diaz then added his second and his team’s third as he rounded the keeper to finish.

NW scored twice late on to make for a nervy finish but Leavesden held on to open up a three-point lead over Woodlands United.

Division Four

In the big game at the top of the table it was The Victoria who joined opponents Hews on 12 points with a fourth straight victory in the league after a 4-2 win in an ill-tempered game.

Chris Dunn gave Hews a dream start after three minutes, but the game turned on two goals in six minutes midway through the opening period.

James Bourne equalised with a curled effort into the top corner from the edge of the box after 24 minutes before Michael Lipman gave Victoria the lead when the Hews’ defence failed to clear their defensive lines.

Luke Potchetty smashed home the equaliser five minutes in the second half, but nine minutes later Bourne rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the empty net.

The game then exploded with a mass brawl, which ended with Hews having two players sent off, one of whom was a substitute.

The near 10-minute delay didn’t help either side but it was The Victoria who made the numerical advantage count when Todd Armstrong hooked the ball in.